Hollywood lies between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, with plenty of highways and multiple lane roads cutting through counties in North Florida to Miami-Dade County in South Florida. These densely populated neighborhoods create a high traffic volume, and car accidents are common in the city and the surrounding area.
Some accidents are minor fender benders, while others cause total vehicle loss and substantial personal injury. If you are involved in a vehicle crash, your medical bills can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, especially after an extended hospital stay. There is also a possibility that you will miss work, and in extreme cases, you may have your earning capacity curtailed permanently because of your injuries.
At Ward Law, we can help you understand your legal rights and compensation potential after a car accident. Our team has years of experience fighting for victims, and our goal is to help you win the settlement you are entitled to, so you can manage your life after a crash. Contact us for a free consultation today.
How common are car accidents in Hollywood?
Unfortunately, car accidents occur frequently in Florida. In 2018, statistics show that the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles reported over 40,000 traffic accidents involving approximately 700,000 drivers. In 2019, the department saw more than 41,000 cases in Broward County. Similarly, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded about 2,558 fatal crashes on Florida roads in 2009.
Recently, headlines have been awash with car accident news in Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami. On July 5, 2021, an automobile accident involving four cars on I-95 shut down the highway, resulting in one fatality and an unrevealed number of other injuries.
A passenger was killed on September 17, 2021, after the vehicle collided with another car on Pembroke Road and 56th Avenue, crashing into a nearby beauty salon.
Intersections with the Highest Rate of Accidents in Hollywood, FL
Hollywood has many multiple-lane roads and highways, including the Florida Turnpike, US 441, and I-95, some of the most dangerous roads in the area. The intersections connecting Pembroke Road, Hollywood Boulevard, and Sheridan Street are common vehicle crashes. 13th Avenue is another hazardous location for collisions, with approximately 67 accidents in the past four years.
These areas account for a large portion of the auto accidents that occur annually in Florida, most of which lead to some type of injury. The most common examples of accidents on Hollywood roads are:
- Drunk driving accidents: nearly twenty-nine percent of all Florida car accident fatalities that happened last year were caused by drunk drivers. Even the less severe drunk driving incidents come with harsh penalties for the at-fault driver, ranging from $1,000 to $10,000, depending on the accident's severity.
- Motorcycle accident: Florida tops the list in annual motorcycle injuries and deaths. Most of these accidents occur because motorcycle drivers refuse to give the right of way.
- Pedestrians: although pedestrians have the right of way, some of them are reckless or negligent, causing vehicle-related accidents. These incidents can occur when pedestrians don't use designated crosswalks, walk at night, or walk on the road instead of the sidewalk.
- Truck and trailers: accidents involving trucks and trailers can be fatal, especially on busy roads and highways.
- Inexperienced driving: records from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles show more than 815,000 licensed teen drivers in the state. This group of new drivers is responsible for almost 300 accidents each year.
- Distracted driving and comparative negligence: talking on the phone, sending text messages, eating and drinking, or changing the radio while driving are common causes of car accidents in Florida. Other negligent behaviors that lead to accidents include speeding and disobeying traffic lights and stop signs.
- Rear-end collisions and side collisions: rear-end collisions happen when multiple cars crash front to back. Side collisions are common at busy intersections when the at-fault driver refuses to give the right of way and two vehicles collide.
- Vehicle pile-ups: sudden traffic stops or vehicle pile-ups are also common causes of accidents in Hollywood, Florida. They occur mainly on highways and busy intersections.
Common Injuries for Car Accident Victims
Injuries resulting from car collisions are often severe. They lead to significant financial loss and physical and emotional pain. Common injuries that car accident victims experience in the Hollywood area include:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Spine injuries
- Cuts and bruises
- Back injuries
- Cuts and scrapes
- Wrongful death
Auto accident injuries can significantly impact your ability to work and enjoy a general quality of life. They may leave you unable to cover your everyday living expenses and costly medical bills. Moreover, these injuries can affect your relationship with your family members and friends, hindering you from participating in activities you once enjoyed. Consulting with a knowledgeable Hollywood car accident lawyer will help you determine your best legal options, including representation after a car accident, to achieve a fair settlement for your losses.
Our attorneys at Ward Law are well established in car accident cases and are keenly familiar with the laws that support victims of crashes. We will ensure that your case receives the best possible settlement so you can focus on your recovery. Trust us to provide you with answers and legal counsel at every step of the way. If you've been in a car accident, contact us today to discuss your claim.
What should I do after a car crash in Hollywood?
Immediately after a car accident, it is not uncommon to feel confused and disoriented. Despite the chaos around you, try to collect yourself and think clearly. There are several steps you should take to help you in your lawsuit and compensation claim:
- Call 911 for emergency assistance. In a severe car accident with serious injuries, seek medical attention, even if you don't have visible physical injuries. Medical documentation of the treatment you receive will help your lawyer safeguard your rights.
- Document the accident as much as possible. Take pictures of the crash scene and all your injuries.
- If there are no severe injuries, remove your car from the road to avoid traffic obstruction, leading to additional car accidents on the roadway.
- Say as little as possible, and don't sign anything. Accepting fault or apologizing after the accident may come across as an admission of responsibility, which could make you liable for the accident and any subsequent penalties.
- Call your car insurance provider to file a claim.
- Contact a car accident attorney as soon as possible or visit their offices following the accident for a free consultation.
How do I know if my insurance offer is fair after a car accident in Hollywood?
Working with a car accident attorney familiar with personal injury claims is the best way to ensure a fair settlement on your behalf. They have years of experience to help determine your claim's worth. Auto accident attorneys from Ward Law will strive to get you fair compensation for your personal injury case as well as punitive damages.
We are committed to pursuing each case with dedication and professionalism. Our team understands that every accident is different, so we approach each claim with a unique strategy tailored to deliver the best possible results. Some of the settlements we have obtained in justifiable personal injury cases have ranged from $100,000 to $600,000.
What happens in the car accident claims process?
Ward Law car accident attorneys will help you throughout the entire claims process. The steps include:
- The investigation: lawyers from our firm will gather evidence and all the necessary documents to support your accident claim. These documents include police reports, medical records and bills, lost wage records, and statements from expert witnesses.
- Establishing a claim: we will communicate with the car insurance company of the driver at fault. Our lawyers will obtain a claim number and pass along information regarding the accident and injuries sustained.
- Pre-litigation: our legal team will make a solid case to support your claim. We will present all relevant evidence and records to negotiate the compensation you deserve.
- Litigation: if the settlement amount seems unfair in relation to the injuries sustained, we may pursue litigation.
How long do I have to file a claim in Florida?
For a car accident claim to be considered, you must file a lawsuit in court within a specific time frame, known as the statute of limitations. In Florida, the statute of limitations for filing a claim after a motor vehicle accident is four years after the date of the accident.
If you miss this date, the court will likely dismiss your claim, except in rare cases where a judge extends the deadline. Judges may extend the date for filing when the injured person is a minor or the injuries don't manifest until weeks or months after the accident.
A car accident lawyer will help you assess the best time to file a legal claim. While the lawsuit should always remain within the statute of limitations, it is sometimes advisable to wait long enough to know the long-term consequences of the accident. All these factors will increase the success rate of getting a fair compensation amount.
Regarding medical treatment, Florida PIP insurance laws require you to seek medical attention and treatment within 14 days after a car accident. Failing to do so may result in a denied claim by the insurer.
How can Hollywood personal injury attorneys help me?
While you are not required to hire an attorney when filing an injury claim in Florida, you should get legal consultation. Car accident and personal injury laws are complicated, and insurance companies strive to minimize your compensation. Without the help of a Hollywood car accident attorney, you may struggle to counter their claims and receive the compensation you deserve.
At Ward Law, we have helped countless car accident victims get fair settlements. If you have been in a car accident, we are here to help. Contact the lawyers at Ward Law by filling out our contact form for a free consultation and case evaluation.