When accidents happen, they can disrupt your life in a significant way. Some of them result in mild injuries, while others cause severe damage, such as traumatic brain injuries and, in some instances, wrongful death. Unfortunately, accidents are relatively common in Hollywood, FL, and surrounding areas. If you or your loved one are injured due to the negligence of another party, contact a Hollywood personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
A personal injury lawyer can help you protect your rights by ensuring you get the compensation you deserve. If you’re injured and can’t go to work for some time, you can incur significant debt to take care of yourself and your loved ones. If the injury is severe enough, your disability might impair your capacity to work permanently. A Hollywood personal injury lawyer will help you recover these expenses and ensure the responsible party is held liable.
What are the most common types of accidents in Hollywood, FL?
Ward Law personal injury attorneys handle all types of accident cases, including the most common accidents in Hollywood:
Vehicle accidents: car accidents make up a considerable percentage of Hollywood personal injury cases, where one or both parties are to blame. Car crashes are the leading cause of death in the US, and they often occur due to negligence and recklessness, such as driving under the influence, ignoring stop signs, and speeding. An accident in September at the intersection of Pembroke Road and 56th Avenue resulted in the death of a young woman. The other car’s driver ran through a red flashing light and collided with the vehicle she was riding in, pushing it into the wall of a nearby hair salon.
Boating accidents: boating is a popular pastime in South Florida, and many accidents are fatal. The leading causes of boating accidents include inexperienced operators, poor weather conditions, boating under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and defective equipment. If you’re involved in a boating accident, and the other driver is at fault, they should be held liable.
Slip and fall accidents: according to Florida law, property owners must keep their premises safe. If you visit a friend or an establishment and you’re involved in a slip and fall accident due to their negligence, you may be due compensation. Accidents of this nature can include anything from minor soft tissue injuries to severe trauma, such as spinal cord injuries.
Dog bites: Florida is a strict liability state where dog owners are liable for all damages that their pet causes. The state has a Dangerous Dog Statute. A dog is categorized as dangerous if it displays signs of aggressiveness towards humans, acts violently without any provocation, or attacks other pets outside the owner’s premises. After a pit bull attacked a small dog in a Hollywood neighborhood, they brought in local police and Broward County Animal Services to investigate.
Medical malpractice: medical professionals have a legal obligation to take care of their patients. The most common examples of medical malpractice include inappropriate or incorrect procedures, misdiagnoses, and inaccurate prescriptions. These lawsuits are often complex, and victims should seek advice from a seasoned Hollywood personal injury lawyer.
Nursing home abuse: For this type of claim, liability can fall on the nursing home for failing to protect the resident or patient from the suspected abuser.
Wrongful death: if you’ve lost a loved one due to an accident caused by the negligence of another party, they should be held liable. Several high-profile wrongful death cases have occurred in Hollywood, including at a nursing home at Hollywood Hills during Hurricane Irma.
What qualifies as a personal injury?
A personal injury occurs when someone is harmed, primarily due to another party’s negligence. The harm sustained could be physical, like broken bones, cuts, lacerations, and fractures. An emotional injury might be the pain and anguish caused by the loss of a loved one. Mental harm can result in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
According to Florida law, the statute of limitations on personal injury cases is four years, and the clock starts ticking on the day of the accident. Filing a claim after this period has lapsed will only result in a dismissal. For this reason, victims should seek legal help from a Hollywood personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
What should you do after an accident?
It can be a traumatic and challenging experience when an accident happens, and you might be left wondering what to do next. Here are the steps you should take to protect yourself and your interests so you can obtain the best possible settlement for your injuries:
- If it’s a vehicle accident, stop and ensure everyone is safe, whether you’re at fault or not. Fleeing from an accident scene is a crime.
- Call for medical assistance to help you and any other parties involved in the accident.
- Contact the local authorities to fill in an accident report. This report will also help when the time comes to file your claim.
- Contact your personal injury attorney so they can begin working on your case by collecting evidence and communicating with insurance carriers.
- Create an accurate record of the accident by taking as many photos and videos as possible. Include details that help explain the circumstances of the incident.
- Exchange your contact details with the other party.
How can a personal injury lawyer help you following an accident in Hollywood?
Personal injury cases are often complex, which is why you should hire a Hollywood personal injury lawyer. In addition to offering you legal advice, they also save you the hassle of filing paperwork and negotiating with insurance companies. A personal injury attorney also helps by:
- Walking you through every step of the claims process: an attorney will give you an objective legal opinion about your case and break down the steps you will need to take to pursue your claim. A Hollywood personal injury attorney will also help you manage the necessary paperwork for your claim.
- Explaining your rights: as the victim of an accident, you have the right to hold the other party liable. Your attorney will also explain how comparative negligence and the statute of limitations will impact your case.
- Collecting all evidence regarding the accident: this includes talking to witnesses and collecting photo and video evidence. This information helps them build a robust case against the responsible party.
- Managing all communication with insurance companies and at-fault parties: after an accident, some statements that you make, however well-intended, can work against you and your claim. It’s best to leave communication to a legal professional who can speak on your behalf.
- Managing all aspects of negotiation: insurance companies will pressure you to accept a lower amount than you deserve. A personal injury lawyer will work with them directly towards a fair settlement.
How can I prove that the other party’s at fault for damages?
The basis of every personal injury claim lies in proving negligence, and according to Florida law, your claim must include the following elements:
- Duty. You need to show that the other person owed you a duty of care. For instance, if a dog bit you at the park, it was the owner’s responsibility to keep their pet under control, so they are liable.
- Breach. The responsible party failed to observe their duty of care. In the above example, the dog owner might have breached their duty of care by letting their dog roam free in a general public park.
- Causation. The actions or lack of action by the party resulted in the accident.
- Damages. As a result of the other party’s negligent behavior, you were harmed or injured.
Florida is a pure comparative negligence state which means that damages are awarded based on your percentage of fault. For instance, if you were awarded $100,000 but were found 20% at fault, you’ll only receive $80,000. A Hollywood personal injury lawyer can collect the relevant evidence on your behalf to ensure that you aren’t held liable for actions that weren’t your fault.
What type of compensation can I expect to receive?
The actual amount that you can expect to receive depends on the unique details of your case. However, you’ll likely receive the following types of compensation:
This type of compensation takes care of the expenses you incur due to the accident. Economic damages include:
- Medical expenses such as ambulance transport, physical therapy, rehabilitation, physician and surgical services, cost of medication, cost of emergency treatment, and provision of assistive devices such as wheelchairs
- Property damage, such as the cost of repairing your car
- Loss of wages if you had to take days off work while receiving medical attention
- Loss of future earning capacity if you’re unable to go back to work due to the injuries sustained
Not all damages have a dollar amount that you can easily add together. This type of award offers compensation for losses that cannot be quantifiable in terms of monetary value. They include:
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of companionship
You may receive punitive damages if the other party acts in a grossly negligent manner, inflicting harm on you and others. This type of compensation is the court’s method of administering punishment for behavior that is incredibly reckless.
Why should I hire a personal injury lawyer for my claim?
Hollywood personal injury claims are often complex, and without a lawyer to guide you through the legal process, you may end up receiving less compensation than you deserve. Accidents cause more than physical injuries, and you could suffer from emotional pain and mental anguish.
A Hollywood personal injury attorney will handle all the legal procedures on your behalf, ultimately allowing you to focus on recovery. They’ll also use their experience and knowledge of the law to ensure justice is served and that you receive fair compensation.
What sets Ward Law personal injury lawyers apart?
Our personal injury lawyers handle a wide variety of accidents in Hollywood, FL, including:
- Car, truck, and bus accidents
- Boating accidents
- Motorcycle and bike accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Lyft and Uber accidents
- Construction accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Nursing home abuse
- Medical malpractice
- Wrongful death
We are passionate about our clients, and we will work tirelessly to get you justice. Contact the team at Ward Law Group for a free consultation.