Any accident involving trucks can have devastating consequences. Whether in Brooklyn or anywhere in New York, these types of events involve damage of great magnitude. Trucks are larger in size than the average car in the city and can impact all kinds of objects around them. In addition, they can damage pedestrians and other drivers in vehicles ten times smaller.
However, an economically dynamic city with hundreds of businesses operating without the help of trucks is inconceivable. These machines have aided the logistical operations of hundreds of businesses in the Brooklyn area, facilitating point-to-point freight deliveries and helping many activities to get done.
Some of these trucks also make interstate trips, connecting commercial activities between different cities and making it possible for certain products originating in a certain location to supply new markets and generate more revenue for the companies that manage these activities.
If trucks cease to exist, the entire country would come to a complete standstill, and many businesses would be left without supplies. This, in turn, would affect many jobs and disrupt all logistics chains. That is why this type of vehicle is transcendental for the economy of the United States, and the city of Brooklyn is no exception.
It is common to see rows of trucks in Brooklyn transporting all kinds of goods and taking the highway to various points of the country. Some even cross the border into Canada, supplying various suppliers in cities such as Toronto or Ottawa.
However, having such large vehicles with gigantic tires running alongside vehicles for personal use or even light vehicles such as motorcycles or lighter vehicles such as bicycles could pose dangers if the necessary measures are not taken.
A collision between one of these vehicles and a truck could lead to death. Throughout our representation of clients in these types of cases, we have seen all types of situations, although some have been more serious than others.
One of the first cases that came to our offices involved a man driving a Honda sedan on the Florida to New York route. This client was following all safety precautions, making good use of his lights, and wearing his seat belt. Unfortunately, that did not prevent a truck driver who fell asleep at the wheel from hitting part of his car, causing injuries that took him about a year to overcome.
The good news is that this driver contacted The Ward Law, as he had very good references for us, and with our help, he was able to obtain a juicy compensation that helped him overcome the bad time, in addition to covering all his medical treatments. Delegating the legal work to the experts provided this driver with many benefits in terms of time, as well as helping him to fully concentrate on his recovery, and thus his stress levels decreased.
Thank goodness this customer did not lose his life. Nobody should lose their life because of the recklessness of others. Although, we are aware that there are aspects that cannot be completely controlled. We would all like to see a more aware community, with less reckless people falling asleep at the wheel, especially when driving trucks. However, risks always exist, and what remains for us is to promote prevention with valuable information.
That is why, together with our experts, we want to delve a little deeper into the subject of truck accidents in Brooklyn and how a professional from our law firm can help you so that going through this negative experience is a much more bearable experience and so that the desired justice is achieved.
Causes of Truck Accidents in Brooklyn
It is difficult to determine a single cause for this type of accident. However, the years have given us the necessary experience to be able to identify certain patterns that accompany these types of events, and that sometimes can be linked to possible triggers.
From drivers who did not get enough sleep, substance abuse, technical failures, extreme weather, or recklessness of smaller vehicles that forced the truck to make a reckless maneuver to avoid a collision. There are many aspects to consider in order to determine an exact cause. It is not possible to pigeonhole into a single motive or trigger. Usually, two or more factors are involved.
We asked one of our truck accident lawyers in Brooklyn to mention the most common cases he had seen in his 20 years of experience handling these types of cases, and he pointed out the following most relevant ones:
- Driver fatigue: Spending excessive amounts of time driving without getting enough rest can make you drowsy and slow down your reflexes.
- Speeding: The pressure of delivery deadlines may lead truck drivers to go over the posted speed limit, raising the possibility of an accident.
- Distracted Driving: Using a phone, adjusting a GPS, or eating while operating a truck can cause the driver to lose focus.
- Improper Loading: Improperly loaded cargo can cause an imbalance, which increases the risk of a truck overturning or losing control.
- Inadequate maintenance can lead to equipment failures such as brake malfunctions, tire blowouts, and other issues.
- Weather: Rain, snow, and ice can cause slick road conditions that make it harder for trucks to grip the road and maintain control.
- Lack of Training: Poor truck driver training can lead to improper handling of big vehicles on congested city streets.
- Aggressive Driving: Habits, such as tailgating and abrupt lane changes, can lead to collisions. Large trucks have large blind spots, so it's important for drivers to be aware of other nearby vehicles. Alcohol or drug intoxication impairs a driver's judgment and coordination while they are behind the wheel.
- Poor Road Conditions: Truck accidents can be exacerbated by potholes, debris, and poor signage on Brooklyn streets.
- Negligent Maintenance: Failure to keep trucks in good working order can result in roadside mechanical breakdowns.
What Sets Brooklyn Truck Accidents Apart
Brooklyn's vibrant neighborhoods, cultural diversity, and bustling streets all contribute to the city's unique personality. However, when it comes to truck accidents, these very factors can present a special set of difficulties. Here are eight distinctive characteristics of truck accidents in Brooklyn:
- Congested Traffic: Brooklyn streets often lead to heavy traffic conditions, increasing the likelihood of collisions involving trucks.
- Narrow Streets: Many of Brooklyn's roads are narrower compared to suburban areas, leaving less maneuvering space for large trucks.
- Pedestrian Density: The pedestrian-friendly atmosphere in Brooklyn requires extra caution from truck drivers to avoid accidents involving pedestrians.
- Cyclists and Bikers: The presence of cyclists and bikers sharing the road with trucks demands heightened awareness to prevent collisions.
- Shared Roadways: Trucks must navigate alongside cars, buses, and other vehicles, requiring skilled drivers and careful maneuvering.
- Delivery Demands: Brooklyn's urban density can lead to tight schedules and pressure on truck drivers to complete deliveries promptly, potentially leading to rushed decisions.
- Intersections and Crosswalks: High pedestrian activity at intersections and crosswalks poses an increased risk of accidents involving trucks.
- Bridge Crossings: Brooklyn's iconic bridges, like the Brooklyn Bridge, often witness truck traffic, posing challenges due to height restrictions and limited visibility.
Importance of Legal Representation in Truck Accident Cases
Having a professional from The Ward Law Group on your side is not only about receiving first-class legal advice but also involves having the human support and active listening necessary to understand your case from a comprehensive perspective.
Without adequate legal representation, you may feel lost among a multitude of legal terms and procedures that you may not easily understand. You should also be able to identify deadlines for each stage of the process. Ignoring deadlines or dates may have dire consequences for your process, which could contribute negatively to the goal of obtaining adequate compensation.
If we were to mention the most relevant points in which an experienced Brooklyn truck accident lawyer will help you, we would take into account the following:
- Navigating Complex Laws: Truck accidents involve specific laws and regulations that an experienced lawyer can interpret and apply to your case.
- Preserving Evidence: A lawyer can promptly gather and preserve crucial evidence, such as accident reports, witness statements, and medical records.
- Determining Liability: Identifying liable parties can be complex, but a lawyer can establish fault and build a strong case against them.
- Calculating Damages: Experienced lawyers can assess the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional distress.
- Negotiating with Insurers: A lawyer can negotiate with insurance companies to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
- Fighting for Your Rights: Your lawyer will be your advocate, ensuring that your rights are protected and fighting for the compensation you deserve.
- Handling Legal Procedures: Legal procedures can be intricate, but a lawyer can guide you through the process and handle paperwork efficiently.
- Maximizing Compensation: A skilled lawyer will work to maximize your compensation, taking into account both current and future financial needs.
- Access to Experts: Lawyers often collaborate with accident reconstructionists, medical experts, and economists to strengthen your case.
- Avoiding Pitfalls: A lawyer can help you avoid common pitfalls that could compromise your case or affect your claim.
- Trial Experience: If necessary, a lawyer can represent you in court, presenting your case effectively to a judge and jury.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing you have legal support can provide peace of mind, allowing you to focus on recovery while your lawyer handles the legal aspects.
Types of Injuries Commonly Sustained in Brooklyn Truck Accidents
To talk about truck accident injuries is to talk about a long list of possibilities. In fact, injuries could be considered a less serious consequence compared to death, which is sometimes also a direct consequence of these events. However, no one wants to experience injuries; the pain they entail is not pleasant for anyone, so these should be treated immediately and with the indicated treatment to reduce recovery times and feel one hundred percent as before the accident occurred.
With the accumulated experience of our years representing hundreds of similar cases, we have been able, together with health professionals, who are our allies helping our clients, to identify the most common types of injuries that derive from these events:
- Whiplash and Neck Injuries: Sudden impact can lead to whiplash, causing neck strain, pain, and potential long-term discomfort.
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries: Impact can cause fractures, herniated discs, and even spinal cord injuries, resulting in paralysis or chronic pain.
- Head Injuries: Trauma to the head can lead to concussions, traumatic brain injuries (TBI), and cognitive impairments.
- Broken Bones: High-impact collisions can lead to fractures and broken bones in various parts of the body.
- Internal Organ Damage: Forceful impact can cause internal injuries, leading to bleeding, organ damage, and the need for surgical intervention.
- Cuts and Lacerations: Broken glass and debris can cause cuts, scrapes, and lacerations, potentially leading to infections.
- Burn Injuries: If a truck catches fire, occupants can sustain burn injuries, which may require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Crush Injuries: Being trapped under wreckage can result in crush injuries, often requiring surgical intervention and long-term care.
- Psychological Trauma: Truck accidents can lead to emotional distress, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Fatalities: Tragically, some truck accidents result in fatalities, leaving families to cope with the loss of a loved one.
Contact the Ward Law Group now and schedule a free evaluation for your case!
If you are going through an unfortunate situation like the one described in this post, you should not waste any more valuable time. Anticipating the deadlines will allow us to have a certain advantage in order to obtain justice together. Contact one of our experts and trust that our service-oriented approach to others will be vital for you to regain the smile and get the happy ending you deserve.
Time is a crucial element in legal proceedings. Precise decisions can determine the final result. In our offices, we are already ready to receive you and learn more about your story.