When there is a traffic accident, most people in The Bronx, New York, expect all the accident participants to take responsibility and follow the proper steps. That is what the law mandates.
Fleeing from a traffic accident scene called a hit-and-run accident is considered a crime, and the wrongdoer can face extra charges if caught.
It is frustrating to know that you have been injured in an accident and were left alone with all the consequences when the accident was not even your fault.
A Bronx hit-and-run accident lawyer is crucial whenever these incidents happen. You might be wondering about your legal options and what to do. This professional is a great help when it comes to defending your rights.
After a traffic accident, there is an obligation from all the parties included that needs to be met.
Stopping at the scene:
The driver must immediately stop their vehicle at the scene of the accident.
The driver is typically required to provide their name, contact information, and vehicle registration number to the other party involved in the accident or to the authorities if the other party is not present.
Assisting injured parties:
Suppose there are any injured individuals due to the accident. In that case, the driver is generally required to render reasonable assistance, such as calling for medical help or providing aid if possible.
Failure to comply with these obligations can result in criminal charges, ranging from misdemeanors to felonies, depending on the severity of the accident and the resulting consequences.
However, The Bronx does not have the highest number of traffic accidents in the State; it places below Brooklyn and Queens.
|New York Borough||Number Of Traffic Accidents||Percentage of Accidents|
Steps to Take After a Hit-and-Run in the Bronx
Experiencing a hit-and-run accident can be unsettling and frustrating, but knowing the proper steps afterward can help protect your rights and potential legal claims.
Here's a straightforward guide on what to do if you're involved in a hit-and-run accident in the Bronx:
1. Prioritize Safety: As soon as the accident occurs, ensure your safety and the safety of others involved. Move your vehicle to a safe spot, and turn on hazard lights to alert other drivers.
2. Gather Information: While the other party might have fled, try to gather as much information as possible about the incident. Sometimes the wrongdoer waits for some minutes before deciding to run; that might be your opportunity.
Note the license plate number, make, model, and color of the other vehicle. If there are witnesses, ask for their contact details.
3. Contact the Authorities: Even in a Bronx hit-and-run, it's essential to report the incident to the police. Please provide them with your gathered information, and file an official report.
This is an essential step because it is absolute proof that you were hit in that specific location, and a police officer testified that you were there and your car had damages from a recent crash.
4. Seek Medical Attention: If you or anyone else is injured, seek medical attention immediately. Your well-being is a priority; documenting injuries promptly can also benefit any potential legal claims.
5. Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, your vehicle's damage, and any injuries you've sustained. These visual records can serve as valuable evidence later on.
6. Notify Your Insurer: Contact your insurance company to report the hit-and-run accident. Please provide them with all the details you've gathered and follow their instructions for filing a claim.
7. Consult an Attorney: Contact a qualified hit-and-run accident lawyer in the Bronx. They specialize in personal injury cases and can guide you through the legal process, ensuring your rights are protected.
8. Preserve Evidence: Keep all documents related to the accident, including the police report, medical records, and communication with your insurer. This documentation can strengthen your case.
9. Do Not Discuss on Social Media: Avoid discussing the accident or your case on social media platforms. What you say online could potentially be used against you in legal proceedings.
10. Cooperate with Authorities: If the responsible driver is eventually located, cooperate with law enforcement and your attorney throughout any investigations or legal proceedings.
Some might think they could follow the driver who fled the accident scene. It is an instinct to try and chase down the responsible party. However, doing so can lead to potentially dangerous situations and legal complications.
If you attempt to do so, you are putting yourself and other people in danger, the situation might escalate, and you could inadvertently violate traffic laws and put yourself in legal trouble.
Moreover, You might be unable to gather valuable details while driving and trying to keep up with them.
Why Hire a Bronx Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer?
If a regular accident is already a complicated thing to deal with, a hit-and-run accident is even worse. For injured victims, defending their rights alone would be an extra burden.
You don't have to be alone; a hit-and-run accident lawyer from The Ward Law Group is available when these incidents happen.
Several years of experience provide our legal professionals with the tools to obtain your highest compensation. Our Bronx hit-and-run accident lawyers can collaborate with other specialists, such as private investigators, to locate the wrongdoer.
Surveillance cameras around the accident scene can be helpful; your lawyer would gather all the information needed to find the location of the at-fault party. Defending your rights is our duty.
Injuries Sustained On Hit-and-Run Victims
In a hit-and-run accident, victims can sustain a variety of injuries. They will depend on how hard and which car part was impacted. Some crashes, like the ones on the side of a vehicle, can be deadly.
Victims could receive rear-end collisions, too, or be hit with the front of the car. Depending on it, people may suffer from:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck injury
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damages
- Among others.
Compensation for Hit-and-Run Victims
Naturally, a car accident victim is entitled to compensation to cover all their expenses. They should pay for the damages because they were hit by a person who failed the New York traffic laws.
The victim can file a claim with the insurance company in these cases. Since all drivers should have car insurance, that would be the first claim to recover from their losses.
They can ask for economic and non-economic damages, depending on the severity of their injuries and if they are considered severe injuries.
A short list of potential damages they can claim for is:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Among many others
Discussing your case with a Bronx hit-and-run accident lawyer is vital for knowing what damages you are entitled to.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
One of the leading causes why people flee from accident scenes is because they know they are already breaking the law by not carrying a license or car insurance. That is just one of the various causes, though.
The NYC laws are made to protect their citizens. Therefore, every driver must have three types of insurance; among these, there is uninsured motorist coverage.
UMC is an extra layer of protection, and it does not also protect you as a driver but protects your household's family members and anyone in your vehicle.
We all know that personal injury protection PIP is not enough to cover all the expenses, so when there is a hit-and-run accident, this coverage can help protect the rest of the costs if the at-fault driver can't be found.
Your Bronx Hit and Run Accident Lawyer
All drivers in New York City, especially in The Bronx, should be aware of the dangers on the road. To follow the law and always have our papers in order is an obligation that benefits us at the end of the day.
If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident, don't suffer; call your hit-and-run accident lawyer from The Ward Law Group P.L.
We have a team of legal professionals with vast experience in personal injury cases to assist you.
Our best lawyers have up to 25 years of experience helping thousands of people to receive fair compensation for their losses. We are committed to supporting the Hispanic community in The Bronx, NYC.
Call us at 855-DOLOR-55 for a free consultation of your case, and all your questions will be answered immediately.