Many types of traffic accidents can occur. Rarely do we find a head-on car accident in The Bronx. A high percentage of the time when this type of accident happens, occupants get serious injuries that may take people's lives or leave them with long-term consequences.
Besides the physical harm these accidents represent to occupants, they can cause property damage because vehicles usually get destroyed. A head-on car accident lawyer will help you and your family overcome this situation.
While you might be suffering from serious injuries, you or your family will need to address financial hardship, and if you did not cause the accident, that seems unfair.
Therefore, legal advice from a professional head-on accident lawyer can lead you to win monetary compensation to pay all the bills that will appear.
Mechanics of Head-On Car Accidents
A head-on car accident is a type of collision that occurs when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions on the same road collide front-end to front-end. In other words, the front of one car crashes directly into the front of another vehicle.
Head-on car accidents are considered one of the most dangerous collisions due to the force of impact. The combined speed of the two vehicles involved contributes to the intensity of the crash, potentially leading to catastrophic consequences.
These accidents can occur on any type of road, including highways, rural roads, and city streets, and may happen due to various factors such as:
- Driver negligence
- Impaired driving
- Distracted driving
- Overtaking in unsafe conditions
- Adverse weather conditions
The outcome of a head-on car accident depends on several factors, including the speed of the vehicles, the angle of impact, the safety features of the vehicles involved, and the use of seat belts by occupants.
Modern vehicles have safety features like airbags, crumple zones, and seat belt restraints that aim to mitigate the severity of injuries in such collisions. However, head-on accidents still pose a significant risk to the safety and well-being of drivers and passengers.
Going a bit deeper into the causes
When drivers ignore the road, they may drift into oncoming traffic lanes without realizing it. This can happen when the driver is texting, talking on the phone, adjusting the radio, or engaging in other distractions.
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly impairs a driver's judgment, reflexes, and coordination. Impaired drivers may veer into oncoming lanes, leading to head-on collisions.
Many times these accidents happen because one of the drivers is overly tired. They may momentarily lose control of their vehicle and cross into the opposite lane, resulting in a head-on collision.
When drivers attempt to pass slower vehicles without proper visibility or in areas where it's prohibited, they risk colliding with oncoming traffic.
Sometimes, drivers enter highways or roads in the wrong direction due to confusion, impaired judgment, or not noticing signs. This can result in head-on collisions with vehicles traveling in the correct order.
Poorly maintained roads, unexpected obstacles, or debris can cause drivers to swerve into oncoming lanes to avoid a hazard.
Factors such as icy roads, wet conditions, or mechanical failures can cause a driver to lose control of their vehicle and veer into the path of oncoming traffic.
Lack of courtesy plays a significant role in accidents; failing to yield the right of way at intersections, such as when making a left turn, may collide with vehicles coming from the opposite direction.
It is known that in 2023, The Bronx has a population of around 1.47 million people. 40% of people living in The Bronx own at least one car. Those are just numbers that will back up potential accidents that may occur.
Last month, July 2023, 7859 traffic accidents resulted in 4,890 injured people and 16 fatalities.
People must know the risks and understand the causes that lead to catastrophic accidents like these. It is their responsibility to always drive safely and defensively.
Injury Profiles and Medical Response
Head-on car accidents in The Bronx often lead to a range of injuries that can be both severe and life-altering. We understand that in most cases, Bronx head-on car accidents result in fatalities.
However, sometimes, passengers can survive, and often, the injuries they get can be:
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs):
Head-on collisions can result in traumatic brain injuries due to the force of impact. TBIs vary in severity from concussions to more severe brain damage. These injuries can lead to cognitive impairments, memory loss, and changes in behavior, affecting victims' overall quality of life.
Spinal Cord Injuries:
The violent impact of a head-on collision can cause spinal cord injuries, leading to paralysis or reduced mobility. These injuries often necessitate long-term medical care, rehabilitation, and adaptive devices.
Broken Bones and Fractures:
The force of the collision can cause bones to break or fracture. Fractures may require surgeries, casts, and extensive rehabilitation to regain functionality.
Internal Organ Damage:
The impact can cause internal organs to be damaged or ruptured. This type of injury may require emergency surgery and ongoing medical monitoring.
Soft Tissue Injuries:
Whiplash and other soft tissue injuries are common in head-on collisions. These injuries can cause chronic pain, reduced range of motion, and long-term discomfort.
The emotional toll of a head-on accident cannot be overlooked. Survivors may experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression, impacting their mental well-being.
Many of these injuries can have lasting effects on victims' lives. Long-term medical treatment, rehabilitation, and ongoing therapy may be necessary to manage the physical, emotional, and financial challenges these injuries pose.
Determining Liability And Fault In Head-On Accidents
One thing sure is that determining liability is not an easy task. A significant investigation must be done to know what exactly happened.
Injured people will want to get compensation from their insurance company. That's why it is required in the law because N.Y. is a No-Fault state.
Victims can easily file a claim and receive money from their insurer, but insurance companies will present some resistance, so they pay as little as they can and will try to blame you for the accident.
This also happens when victims know that Personal Injury Protection (PIP) will fall short and won't be enough to pay for everything they need.
When the experts in charge of determining the at-fault party in the accident finally deliver their results, the victim can file a claim against the negligence party's insurance company to get compensation from their Bodily Liability coverage.
Then again, there will be resistance by this insurance company to pay as little as they can. Therefore, injured people involved in a head-on car accident require a lawyer specializing in head-on car accidents in The Bronx.
Immediate Steps Following a Head-On Accident in the Bronx
As disorienting and distressing as a head-on accident can be, taking immediate action is crucial to ensure your safety, well-being, and legal rights. It is great to know in advance how to react when these situations hit.
None of us want to live that experience, but we never know when we need the information.
1. Prioritize Safety: The safety of all involved parties should be your top priority. Move to a safe location to prevent further accidents or hazards if possible. Turn on hazard lights and set up flares or warning triangles if available.
2. Check for Injuries: Check yourself and others involved for injuries. If anyone is seriously injured, call 911 immediately to request medical assistance. Even if injuries appear minor, seeking medical attention promptly is advisable.
3. Notify Authorities: Call the police to report the accident, especially if there are injuries or significant damage or if the accident is blocking traffic. A police report can be valuable when filing an insurance claim or pursuing legal action.
4. Gather Information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Additionally, collect contact information from any witnesses who saw the collision.
5. Document the Scene: Use your phone or a camera to take photos of the accident scene, including vehicle positions, damage, road conditions, and any relevant road signs or signals.
6. Avoid Admitting Fault: While it's essential to cooperate with authorities and exchange information, avoid admitting fault or making statements that could be interpreted as an admission of guilt. Stick to the facts when discussing the accident.
7. Seek Medical Attention: Even if you believe your injuries are minor, seeking medical attention is crucial. Some injuries, like concussions, may not show immediate symptoms but can have severe consequences if left untreated.
8. Contact an Attorney: Contact an experienced head-on car accident lawyer as soon as possible. A skilled attorney can guide you through the legal process, help you understand your rights, and advise you on the best action to protect your interests.
You can always call one lawyer from The Ward Law Group while you are right there at the accident scene. If you feel nervous and don't want to talk to anyone else, one of our lawyers can be there at the location for you.
9. Notify Your Insurance Company: Report the accident to your insurance company immediately. Please provide accurate information about the collision and follow their instructions for filing a claim.
10. Preserve Evidence: Keep copies of all medical records, accident-related expenses, and correspondence with insurance companies. These documents will be important when seeking compensation for your injuries and losses.
Get Help From A Bronx Head-On Accident Lawyer
At The Ward Law Group P.L., We understand the intricacies of head-on car accident cases and the importance of securing fair compensation for victims.
Our experienced team of lawyers is dedicated to advocating for victims' rights and ensuring they receive the comprehensive support they need to navigate the challenges these accidents pose.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a head-on accident, don't hesitate to contact us for expert legal guidance and compassionate representation.
Proudly serving the Hispanic community to defend their rights for over 12 years, our awarded lawyers have successfully dealt with personal injury lawsuits. Call us for a free consultation of your case at 855-DOLOR-55.