Reckless driving is no stranger to New York. In cities like Queens, it is common to see drivers exceeding speed limits, engaging in illegal racing, expressing aggression while driving, and for the most part ignoring basic safety recommendations that we have shared on more than one occasion. We have not yet been able to determine the motivations these individuals have for these types of negligent practices.
Possibly it is the desire to feel a lot of adrenaline, to attract the attention of their immediate environment, or to live with poorly channeled emotions, which would require a psychotherapeutic approach to stop seeing this type of behavior as an escape from reality.
A fact is that reckless driving, based on a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, has been involved in a total of 10,000 deaths per year on average over the past 5 years. The numbers are disturbing, which again begs the question: Is there something we are doing wrong as a community? Why do our drivers choose to follow roads that are confusing and harmful to the rest of us?
It is not easy to get to the root causes of this type of behavior. Sometimes the human being is simply irrational and moves through life for motivations that are not so clear or that he himself cannot explain.
This has happened with many aggressive drivers with whom we have spoken before; many of them described to us that in those moments, they stopped thinking with a rational criterion, they let themselves be carried away by the emotions that this type of attitude generated in them, such as euphoria or a peak of excitement for speed or for feeling stronger than others.
It is very likely that the reasoning of these people is affected by the emotions that arise after feeling powerful at the wheel of a vehicle. However, in our experience, none of these emotions are worth it when the consequences are ultimately fatal.
Most aggressive drivers only become aware of their actions when an accident has already occurred or when it is too late to reverse their actions. That is why, at The Ward Law, we are making an effort to raise awareness in our community, drivers and pedestrians, to take the necessary measures to get to safety.
Getting around Queens does not have to be an act that implies a risk of losing your life or being affected by negligence caused by third parties. Getting around Queens should be a safe act that all community members can enjoy.
If you have been involved in an accident involving reckless or aggressive driving, a Queens reckless driving accident lawyer from our team will help you get over it. First, we will evaluate your case from a legal perspective and then help you understand it from a human approach, working through the emotional impact involved and ways to overcome any pain or chronic feelings that have been released due to the accident.
We want to see you smile at the end of the experience. We also want your rights to be respected and for you to be given compensation that will help you repair damages and possible negative effects.
You don't deserve to go through this alone. Join us in the following text to review together the most relevant aspects of reckless driving accidents. This information will help you feel more comfortable and know a little more about your rights as a citizen in Queens, New York.
Exploring Reckless Driving Accidents
The legal definition of reckless driving is the operation of a motor vehicle in a way that unreasonably obstructs the proper and safe use of public highways and puts other road users in danger. It entails a deliberate disregard for road rules and other people's safety.
Some of the most common behaviors associated with reckless driving include the following:
- Excessive Speeding: Exceeding the posted speed limit or traveling too quickly for the circumstances.
- Aggressive tailgating: driving too closely behind other vehicles to allow for adequate reaction time.
- Running stop signs and red lights puts drivers at risk of collisions with oncoming traffic.
- Driving While Intoxicated: Drinking or using drugs while operating a vehicle affects judgment and reaction times.
- Texting, eating, or using electronic devices while driving are all examples of distracted driving.
- Changing lanes frequently and abruptly without using turn signals is known as weaving through traffic.
- Street racing is the practice of having unscheduled races on public highways, endangering all motorists.
- Passing another vehicle in a no-passing zone or in a space with poor visibility is dangerous overtaking.
- Ignoring pedestrians or other vehicles that have the right of way involves failing to yield.
Consequences and Injuries
These types of accidents could involve long-term consequences. After suffering an impact caused by a vehicle on any part of your body, it may take a few years to fully recover from what happened. There is a physical consequence, but also an emotional one. Many of our clients have told us how difficult it was to assimilate feelings of fear and anxiety after being involved in an accident of this type. This would be an example of a traumatic element, which should also be taken into account when claiming compensation for your case.
The most common causes of injury and long-term consequences are as follows:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): Serious head trauma can result in concussions or other more severe brain injuries, which can impair cognitive function and quality of life.
- High-impact collisions can damage the spinal cord, which can result in paralysis or the loss of motor function.
- Broken Bones: The force of impact can cause compound fractures, fractures, and dislocations, all of which require extensive medical treatment.
- Sudden acceleration and deceleration can cause whiplash and soft tissue injuries, which can result in chronic back and neck pain.
- Internal Injuries: The force of the impact may damage internal organs, causing internal bleeding and long-term complications.
- Burn Injuries: Collisions can cause fires or explosions, which can lead to severe burns and call for specialized medical attention.
- Psychological Trauma: The psychological effects of an accident caused by careless driving can result in PTSD, anxiety, depression, and other mental health conditions.
- Long-Term Consequences: Accidents caused by careless driving can have a serious negative impact on the physical and mental health of victims. Long-term effects could include:
- Chronic Pain: Numerous injuries can cause persistent pain and discomfort that interferes with daily life and activities.
- Disability and Impairment: Serious wounds can result in impairments that limit a victim's capacity to work and enjoy life.
- Medical Expenses: Serious financial hardship may result from the need for extensive medical care, therapy, and rehabilitation.
- Emotional distress is a result of psychological trauma and can have an impact on one's relationships, self-worth, and general mental health.
- Income Loss: If an injury prevents you from working, you may lose money and experience financial instability.
As we can see, the consequences may be more complex than we imagined. It is not just one consequence, but several, which must be addressed by specialists in order to cope with them over time until they are entirely overcome.
At The Ward Law, we believe that the recovery in this type of case must be integral since it must be taken into account from legal aspects to emotional, family, and health aspects. This type of case cannot be solved only by focusing on the legal aspects, but a human approach must also be taken in order to generate the conditions that favor a full recovery.
Legal Implications of Reckless Driving in Queens
Becoming aware of these types of facts also implies reviewing some basic notions about the legal framework governing the jurisdiction of Queens. Don't worry, don't think that because you are not a lawyer, it will be too complicated for you to understand it. We have made an effort to group the most relevant legal aspects surrounding reckless driving accidents below:
- New York's laws against reckless driving state that it is illegal to operate a vehicle in a way that endangers other road users or unreasonably impedes the proper use of a public highway (New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 1212). People who are found guilty of this misdemeanor will be prosecuted and punished in court.
- Implications for Queens Drivers: Queens drivers should be aware that law enforcement and the courts take reckless driving seriously. Fines, jail time, and a permanent criminal record may result from convictions. Furthermore, careless driving contributes to a lot of catastrophic collisions, which can carry hefty civil liabilities.
- Liability Assessment: In reckless driving accident cases, proving that the at-fault driver's actions met the requirements for reckless driving is necessary to establish liability. This could involve providing proof of excessive speeding, aggressive driving, or willful disregard for traffic regulations. Establishing liability can depend on eyewitness accounts, surveillance footage, and expert testimony.
- Victims of reckless driving accidents in Queens have the right to pursue financial compensation for their losses and injuries. This can involve paying for medical bills, lost wages, suffering, and property damage. To navigate the legal complexities and create a compelling case for maximum compensation, working with a knowledgeable reckless driving accident attorney is essential.
Prevention and Road Safety
Being advocates of prevention and awareness, we want to share some tips to avoid this type of accident, as well as creative ideas to stay informed about it, such as being aware of technologies such as smartphone apps that can keep you up to date with traffic conditions or if accidents have occurred. Some examples of these prevention measures are the following:
- Driving safely involves paying attention to speed limits, avoiding distractions, and obeying traffic laws.
- Local Initiatives: Queens residents can participate in neighborhood campaigns against careless driving and help make the city's streets safer.
- Driver education: Enroll in classes to improve your driving abilities and your awareness of potential hazards.
- Participate in neighborhood initiatives to promote defensive driving techniques.
- Public Education: Raise awareness of the dangers of careless driving through social media and neighborhood gatherings.
- Utilize technology by looking into tools and apps that promote safe driving practices and discourage distractions.
- Parental Guidance: Start teaching young drivers at a young age the value of safe driving.
Legal Representation in Queens
Delegating the work of legal representation to a specialized professional is vital to obtaining satisfactory results at the end of the road. There are aspects that you will not be able to address on your own; you will need the experience interpreting the laws of New York, in addition to having skills developed over the years in negotiation and argumentation.
Contacting a professional at The Ward Law Group will be an extremely important step in your process. Below are just some of the aspects that you should consider before choosing the best lawyer to handle your case:
- Local Knowledge: Lawyers familiar with Queens' legal system can offer insights unique to the region.
- Proven Experience: Notable law firms with a reputation for handling reckless driving accident cases include "Queens Legal Advocates."
- Successful results: Case studies highlight situations where victims received fair compensation as a result of strong legal representation.
- Client Testimonials: Real-world examples from pleased clients highlight the importance of competent legal representation.
- Navigating Complexities: Skilled attorneys understand the nuances of reckless driving cases, ensuring comprehensive legal strategies.
- Insurance Negotiations: Experienced lawyers can negotiate with insurance companies to secure fair compensation.
- Courtroom Representation: In the event of a lawsuit, a qualified attorney will skillfully represent the victim's interests in court.
A well-trained lawyer will be the ideal company from the first moment until obtaining the expected results. We do not want you to get discouraged if you have not yet found answers that will help you deal with this situation. Don't forget the comforting words of the creator: "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." - Psalm 27:14;
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11.
Nothing makes us happier than serving our community and, above all, God. Contact us right now to start this journey together. We will fight for your rights from start to finish.