Pedestrians have little to no protection in a collision with a vehicle. These accidents can be devastating and life-altering. NYC can be dangerous for cyclists, runners, walkers, skateboarders, and rollerbladers. In most accidents, pedestrians suffer incredibly painful and debilitating injuries that require extensive medical treatment.
If you've been hurt in a pedestrian accident, it's crucial to find a qualified and experienced New York pedestrian accident lawyer who can help you navigate the legal process and defend your rights. There are laws in place to protect pedestrians from being hit by a vehicle. The Ward Law Group represents pedestrian accident victims in New York City. We will help you exercise your rights and seek monetary compensation for damages related to the accident.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in NYC
It should be no surprise that NYC has some of the heaviest foot traffic in the state. Walking is one of the easiest ways to get around the city, but NYC is one of the nation's most unsafe metropolitan areas for pedestrians.
- Pedestrian accidents in New York City happen for various reasons, often due to the negligence of motorists, poor infrastructure, or poor visibility. Some leading causes of pedestrian accidents in NYC include:
- Distracted Driving: Drivers on the phone, talking to another passenger, eating, or otherwise not paying full attention to the road are more likely to collide with pedestrians.
- Unsafe Driving: Speeding, aggressive driving, and dismissing road safety rules like failure to yield put pedestrians at risk of being struck.
- Drunk Driving: Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs increase the risk of pedestrian accidents.
If you plan to file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver, you must prove the individual is at fault. A New York City pedestrian accident lawyer can help you gather evidence, like police reports, medical records, and witness statements, to help you prove your claim.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Getting hit by a vehicle can lead to serious bodily harm. Even if you don't feel like you've been seriously injured, it's in your best interest to seek medical attention after a pedestrian accident.
Some of the most common injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident include:
- Broken bones
- Skull fractures
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Emotional trauma
Our personal injury lawyers help pedestrian accident victims through the claims process. We understand the types of injuries sustained in pedestrian accidents and will help you recover the financial compensation you deserve.
Why Should I Call a Personal Injury Lawyer After an NYC Pedestrian Accident?
Recovering from a pedestrian accident can take weeks, months, or even years. If you're severely injured because of another person's carelessness, you deserve money in your hands. Unfortunately, insurance companies often try to devalue your claim or shift the blame, leaving you empty-handed. Insurance companies are notorious for pressuring struggling accident victims to settle. While taking money up front is tempting, don't accept any offers before consulting with a pedestrian lawyer in New York City. The insurance company will usually offer a much lower settlement than you deserve. In addition, if you take the money, you will forfeit your right to sue their policyholder for compensation.
If you are involved in a pedestrian accident in NYC, contacting a New York City pedestrian accident lawyer is a good idea. At Ward Law Group, our personal injury attorneys will help you navigate the complex legal system and protect your rights.
Here's how we will help you win your case.
- We will thoroughly investigate your accident to determine what caused the incident and who was at fault for your injuries.
- We seek compensation from every liable party to get you the money you deserve.
- We build a strong case by gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and reviewing medical records.
- Your lawyer will negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to get you the highest possible settlement.
- If the insurance company or other party refuses to offer a fair payment, your attorney can file a lawsuit on your behalf and represent you in court.
Our strategic approach allows us to secure significant compensation for injured pedestrians in NYC. We're here to be your advocate and fight for you when you need it the most.
Who's Liable For My Injuries After a Pedestrian Accident in NYC?
Determining liability for a pedestrian accident in NYC depends on the circumstances of your accident. In many pedestrian accidents, the driver of the vehicle is at fault. However, several factors may affect who is liable for your injuries.
- Negligent Drivers: Texting, disobeying traffic laws, speeding, and drunk driving are common causes of pedestrian collisions.
- Negligent Pedestrians: This is less common, but if a pedestrian jaywalks or acts negligently and gets hit by a vehicle, they may be partially at fault for the accident.
- The City: A government entity may be accountable for defective sidewalks, crosswalks, poor visibility, or faulty street signals contributing to collisions.
- A Company: If an on-duty delivery driver or a ride-share driver strikes you, the company they work for could be liable.
- Vehicle Manufacturers: In rare cases, a pedestrian accident may be caused by a vehicle defect, like faulty brakes or a flawed steering mechanism. In these cases, the vehicle manufacturer may be liable.
Work with a pedestrian lawyer in New York City to help you gather evidence and take the proper steps to build a case against one or more parties in pursuit of fair recovery for your damages.
What Kind of Damages are Available in Pedestrian Accident Cases?
If you are a pedestrian who has been wounded in an accident in New York, you may be entitled to recover damages.
The types of compensation available include:
- Medical expenses. Pedestrian accident claims can help recover medical costs, including hospital bills, ambulance fees, medical devices, doctor's visits, medication, and physical therapy or lifelong medical care in extreme cases.
- Lost wages. If you lose income because of your injuries, you can seek recovery for past and future wage damages.
- Pain and suffering. Some accident victims are awarded compensation for physical and emotional pain and suffering caused by the collision.
- Property damage. If your personal property, like a bike, smartphone, or laptop, was damaged in the accident, you might be entitled to recover the cost of repair or replacement.
- Disability. Severe accidents can cause permanent disability or disfigurement, and you may be entitled to compensation for the impact on your quality of life.
Are you trying to figure out what to do after a pedestrian accident in NY? The first step is speaking to a New York pedestrian accident lawyer who can assess the damages and help you receive the full payment you deserve.
New York City Pedestrian Accident Statistics
Pedestrian accidents in NYC are on the rise. The most common cause is driver distraction. Pedestrian injuries are among the top 10 leading causes of injury-related hospital admissions in New York. In February 2023, there were 604 accidents involving a pedestrian in NYC, with 6 fatalities. 598 pedestrian accident victims reported injuries.
You can stay current with car accident statistics in NY by checking the Police Department City of New York collision reports.
How Much Time Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in New York?
NY state law limits the time you can file a pedestrian accident lawsuit. Usually, you must file personal injury claims within three years of your accident date. If the statute of limitations expires before you file, you will no longer be entitled to the money you deserve.
Tip* Cases involving New York City government agencies have a shorter time limit.
Contacting a pedestrian lawyer in New York City as soon as possible after your accident will boost your odds of receiving the compensation you deserve. Our personal injury lawyers at The Ward Law Group will ensure you meet every deadline. Let us handle your case while you focus on recovering from your injuries. All you have to do is call to get started.
Will My Pedestrian Accident Case go to Court?
Whether your case will go to court or not depends on several factors, like the severity of the injuries, the evidence available, and the willingness of both parties to negotiate a settlement. Many pedestrian accident injury claims are settled out of court through negotiations or mediation. However, some claims must be resolved in a courtroom before a judge and jury. Your pedestrian accident lawyer in New York will guide you throughout the litigation process inside or outside the court to get the results you deserve.
Speak With a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in New York Today
Don't wait to talk to an attorney after a pedestrian accident in NYC. Contact the law offices of Gregory Ward and Jany Martinez-Ward to guarantee you meet critical deadlines, like New York's statute of limitations on personal injury claims.