Truck Accident Lawyer in New York
Are you the victim of a truck accident in NYC? Collisions involving trucks pose a greater risk of severe injuries due to their weight and size. If you or a family member are suffering from painful or debilitating injuries, a truck accident lawyer in New York City can help you fight for fair compensation. You may be entitled to payment for medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
The top-rated personal injury attorneys at the Ward Law Group are ready to help. We will review your case while helping you understand your legal options. Speak to an experienced truck accident lawyer in New York City to learn more about filing a claim in NY.
Types of Truck Accidents in New York
Truck accidents can be devastating, causing severe injuries or long-term disability. Like any other vehicle, a truck may be involved in various types of collisions. While no two accidents are identical, here's a look at some of the most common types of truck accidents in New York.
- Rear-end collisions are the most common type of truck accident. They happen when a truck collides with the vehicle in front of it. Accidents can happen if the driver is distracted, tired, or speeding.
- A jackknife accident happens when a truck trailer swings out to the side, forming a "V" shape with the truck.
- Rollover accidents are when a truck tips over onto its side or roof. Rollovers are usually caused by speeding, overloading of cargo, or taking a turn too quickly.
- A semi-truck with a loaded trailer can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. Falling cargo accidents endanger surrounding vehicles if the cargo is poorly secured. Cargo or other debris can break free and plunge into oncoming traffic.
- Passenger vehicles may get sideswiped in a wide-turn or blind spot accident. These accidents happen when a driver fails to see a car in their blind spot and collides with it.
- Underride accidents are extremely dangerous and happen when a smaller vehicle collides with the rear or side of a truck and slides underneath it.
Regardless of the type of collision you were in, if you were injured in a crash, an experienced New York truck accident lawyer can help you navigate filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Common Causes of NYC Truck Accidents
Truck accidents are common on NYC roads. The size and weight of the vehicles make them a potential danger to other motorists and pedestrians around them. There are several common causes of truck accidents, including:
Driver Error: One of the most common causes of truck accidents in NYC is driver error. Driver errors can include speeding, distracted driving, fatigue, reckless driving, aggressive driving, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Equipment Failure: Truck accidents can be caused by mechanical problems like brake failure, tire blowouts, or issues with steering or suspension.
Bad Weather: Poor weather conditions like rain, snow, sleet, fog, or icy roads can increase the risk of truck accidents. That said, accidents caused by weather usually have some degree of negligence on the part of the driver or trucking company.
Poor Road Conditions: New York City is infamous for busy streets and poorly maintained roads. Potholes, uneven surfaces, and road debris can cause truck drivers to lose control of their vehicles.
Improper Maintenance: The US Department of Transportation (DOT) regulates the trucking industry. Truck owners and operators are required by federal law to perform routine maintenance to ensure their vehicles are safe. If they fail to perform the necessary upkeep, they can be held accountable for resulting injuries.
What to Do After an Accident in New York?
The aftermath of a truck accident can be overwhelming and confusing. Understanding what to do after a collision is critical. Here's how to put yourself in the best physical and financial position.
1. Seek Medical Attention: Safety should be your top priority following an accident. If you or anyone involved is injured, call 911 immediately. Even if you feel fine, you should see a doctor after an auto accident. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
2. Call 911: Call the police to report the accident. Stay at the scene until the authorities arrive and cooperate fully with them. Provide your version of events but do not admit fault.
3. Exchange Information: Get the contact information, insurance details, and license plate numbers of all parties involved in the accident. This is also a good time to take photos of the accident scene. These images can be used as evidence in legal proceedings.
4. Call an Attorney: If you have been wounded, it is important to consult with an experienced New York City truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. You don't have to face this alone. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
5. Notify your Insurance Provider: Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
Who is Liable in a Truck Accident?
Determining truck accident liability isn't always clear. Several parties could hold a certain level of fault. For example, the truck driver and the organization they work for may be liable for your injuries if the vehicle is subject to commercial vehicle laws. Trucking regulations include commercial driver's license laws, rest for the driver laws, quality control, and rules on the maximum weight permitted.
In most cases, all pirates try to shift the blame. A New York truck accident lawyer can help you determine liability in a truck accident.
Responsible parties may include:
- The truck driver
- The company that employs the driver
- Auto manufacturer
- Repair company responsible for servicing the truck
- The company that loaded the truck
- A third-party driver
New York City Truck Accident Statistics
There's an upsurge in truck accidents throughout the US. Around 130,000 people are injured in truck accidents annually. The Motor Vehicle Collision Report Statistics published by the NYPD have already reported nearly 7,000 motor vehicle collisions in February 2023, several hundred involving trucks. Trucks are especially dangerous in NYC because they share the road with other vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists. Accidents include tractor-trailers, garbage trucks, box trucks, delivery trucks, etc.
Want more support? If you or a loved one is the victim of a truck crash, The Truck Safety Coalition is a national network of victim and survivor volunteers.
What Damages are Available to Truck Accident Victims?
Truck accidents can cause devastating immediate and long-term consequences. If you've been harmed in any truck accident, our New York City truck accident lawyers at Ward Law Group will seek damages for the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Legal fees
- Reduced earning capacity
- Emotional suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in NYC?
It can take weeks or even months to recover from a truck accident. However, it's essential to file your claim as soon as possible. You can still file if you're receiving ongoing medical care or expect to need future care for your injuries.
In general, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits in NY is three years from the date of your truck accident. If you wait too long, you could lose your right to compensation. Give us a call today to schedule a no-obligation consultation and learn more.
How Will a Truck Accident Attorney Help Me After an Accident?
Collisions involving trucks can result in life-altering injuries. But, even if you're not severely injured, you still may be entitled to financial compassion. Accident victims have the right to recover damages from the driver, trucking company, or a negligent third party.
However, getting the money you deserve is challenging. Hiring an accident lawyer will put you in the best position to recover maximum compensation. At Ward Law Group, we fight on behalf of victims. Our personal injury attorneys are ready to fight for you.
Here's how the Ward Law Group can help.
- We investigate the accident to determine the fault.
- We seek compensation from all liable parties, including truck drivers, companies, and government agencies.
- Our lawyers speak with experts to determine how much your injury claim is worth.
- We handle insurance companies on your behalf.
- We will stand by your side throughout the whole process.
Trust your NYC car accident lawyer at Ward Law to handle your truck accident claim. We promise to exhaust every outlet to get you the money you deserve.
Get Support From a Truck Accident Lawyer in New York Today
If you were in a truck collision, an experienced truck accident attorney can help get you the payment you deserve. At Ward Law Group, we advocate for victims just like you. Let us recover economic and non-economic damages so you can focus on recovery.
Contact the law offices of Gregory C. Ward and Jany Martínez-Ward for your no-obligation consultation. We'll review your case and answer any questions you have about filing a personal injury claim in New York City.