Taxi Accident Attorney in NYC
Every day, New Yorkers and tourists rely on 13,000+ taxis to travel the city. These bright yellow taxicabs are the only vehicles with the right to pick up street-hailing passengers in NYC. Unfortunately, car accidents occur daily throughout all five boroughs, leading to potentially catastrophic injuries.
Knowing how to protect your well-being and legal rights is critical if you get hurt in a taxi accident. You may be eligible for compensation if you are involved in a taxi accident in New York City. This applies to passengers, pedestrians, and cyclists. This compensation could be for medical fees, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
If you have been in a taxi accident in New York City, contact The Ward Law Group. An experienced attorney from the firm can provide legal assistance. We are advocates for injury victims in New York. Call us today at 855-365-6755 for a free case evaluation.
Understanding Your Rights as an Injured Passenger
You have rights if you are the victim of a taxi cab NYC accident. You may be entitled to compensation for any injuries and damages you have suffered. Below are some important rights of injured passengers.
- Medical Care: Passengers who are injured have the right to receive vital medical treatment. This includes emergency medical attention, hospitalization, surgeries, medications, and ongoing medical treatment.
- Personal Injury Claim: Victims of taxi accidents in NYC have the right to take legal action. They can pursue a claim against the person responsible for the accident. The at-fault party could be the taxi driver. It could also be another driver on the road. It could even be any other party whose negligence contributed to the accident.
- Compensation: Accident victims may be entitled to various payments, including medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.
- Legal Representation: Injured passengers have the right to work with a taxi accident attorney. This attorney will advocate for their rights, handle the legal process, gather evidence, and negotiate a fair settlement with insurance companies. If necessary, they will also represent them in court.
Taxi accidents are common throughout New York City. Consult an experienced taxi accident lawyer as quickly as possible to protect your rights.
Do NYC Taxis Have Insurance?
The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) requires taxis in the five boroughs to have commercial auto insurance. The TLC licenses yellow cabs in NYC and must carry minimum insurance coverage covering the following:
- $100,000 in liability insurance per person
- $300,000 for bodily injury per accident
- $200,000 personal injury protection
- $10,000 in property damage liability
Who is Responsible for Covering the Damages in a Taxi Accident?
NYC taxi cab accidents usually require complex legal proceedings because multiple parties can be held liable for the accident, including:
- The driver
- The cab company
- Other drivers
- Government agencies
- The vehicle manufacturer
All accident victims deserve to pursue a fair settlement. Our taxi accident lawyers work tirelessly to help you recover the maximum compensation available. We also support victims of rideshare accidents in New York. If you've been wounded as a passenger while riding in an Uber or Lyft vehicle, we can help.
Types of Compensation for NYC Taxi Accidents
In a taxi accident case, you may be entitled to several types of damages or losses. The damages available will depend on the circumstances of your accident. If you've been hurt in a cab accident in NYC, a taxi accident lawyer can assist you. They can help you seek compensation for any damages incurred.
- Medical Bills: Damages for New York taxi accident injuries include all medical expenses related to your accident. This includes hospitalization, ER visits, surgeries, prescription medications, rehabilitation, or any other necessary medical care related to the injuries sustained.
- Lost Wages: You may be eligible for compensation for lost wages if you are unable to work due to injuries. For example, if you sustained a long-term or permanent disability, you may be compensated for the loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: A settlement may include compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, or a diminished quality of life. These losses can result from an accident or injury.
Victims may also be entitled to other damages, like property damage, loss of consortium, punitive damages, or wrongful death. If you or someone close to you has been in a taxi accident in NYC, the aftermath can be difficult.
The law offices of Gregory Ward and Jany Martinez-Ward have taxi accident attorneys. These attorneys work with victims and their families. They provide guidance through the legal process and fight to get maximum compensation.
What are the Most Common Causes of New York City Taxi Accidents?
Every month, the Police Department City of New York releases a citywide Motor Vehicle Collision Report. In April 2023 alone, there were 313 accidents involving taxis in NYC. Negligent drivers put passengers and drivers in danger.
Like most motor vehicle accidents, several factors can contribute to a taxi collision in NYC. Some of the most common causes of taxicab collisions in the city include:
- Distracted Driving: Plenty of distractions can cause a taxi driver to lose concentration on the road. Phones are the top distraction for drivers. Navigation systems, talking to passengers, and eating and drinking can also increase the risk of accidents.
- Reckless Driving: Speeding, running red lights, failure to yield, and other traffic violations are other common causes of NYC taxi accidents. Aggressive driving, like tailgating, sudden lane changes, or improper passing, can also lead to collisions. Learn more about the New York City traffic rules and regulations here.
- Driver Fatigue: Operating a motor vehicle for extended hours is dangerous. Taxi drivers usually work long shifts, and driver fatigue is a serious issue with state-regulated yellow cabs and rideshare drivers.
- Mechanical Failures: Accidents can be caused by mechanical failures, such as brake or steering issues. These malfunctions can be due to inadequate vehicle maintenance or manufacturing defects.
You may take legal action if a taxi driver's negligence caused your accident. This includes taking legal action against the driver, the cab company, and other third parties involved. The vehicle manufacturer may be at fault if a mechanical issue causes an accident. A taxi accident lawyer will help you determine who was responsible for your injuries and who should be held accountable.
Types of Injuries Caused by NYC Taxi Accidents
Reports have shown only a small percentage of passengers wear seatbelts while riding in a taxi or on short trips. Unrestrained riders and those wearing safety belts can still endure painful or catastrophic injuries from an NYC taxi accident.
Below are some of the most common injuries caused by NYC taxi accidents.
- Whiplash: Whiplash is one of the most typical injuries to the head and neck resulting from rear-end car accidents. Whiplash usually causes neck pain, neck stiffness, and headaches.
- Head or Brain Injuries: Head trauma can range from mild concussions to severe or life-altering traumatic brain injuries. Head trauma can cause temporary or long-term cognitive impairment, headaches, and other neurological symptoms.
- Broken Bones: Fractures or broken bones are painful and often require extensive medical care. The arms, legs, ribs, or collarbone are the most frequently broken bones in an NYC taxi accident.
- Back Injuries: Herniated discs, spinal fractures, or spinal cord damage can cause chronic pain, limited mobility, and other neurological deficits.
- Internal Injuries: Car crashes can cause internal injuries, including organ damage and internal bleeding, which can be life-threatening.
- Contusions: A severe Muscle Contusion (Bruise) is another common car accident injury. These bruises are usually not life-threatening but can cause discomfort, pain, and swelling. In more extreme cases, a passenger might experience a pulmonary contusion (bruised lung).
- Emotional Distress: Taxi accidents can cause severe psychological despair, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, or depression. Some victims will refrain from riding in taxis again due to the traumatic experience.
Our attorneys have experience winning lawsuits involving all kinds of damages from taxi cab NYC accidents. Let us help you navigate your legal journey while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
What Happens After the Taxi Accident?
If you were hurt in a cab accident, seek medical attention ASAP, even if your injuries are not immediately obvious. A medical evaluation can help diagnose and document any injuries or traumas following your accident. These records will help your personal injury attorney. They can use them to get compensation for your injuries, medical costs, and other damages resulting from the accident.
Talk to a knowledgeable lawyer who specializes in NYC taxi accidents. They can explain your legal options for obtaining the compensation you deserve.
Were You Hurt in a Cab Accident? Contact an NYC Taxi Accident Attorney Today
TLC Rules and Local Laws are implemented to help protect passengers, pedestrians, and other drivers on NYC streets. When a negligent person causes an accident, they should be held responsible for injuries and subsequent medical expenses.
Contact the Ward Law Group today if you need help from a New York City taxi accident attorney. Consulting with a taxi accident lawyer is the first step to understanding and defending your rights as an accident victim.
Get in touch today to schedule your free initial consultation. We look forward to serving you.