Lyft Accidents in NYC
Rideshare apps like Lyft and Uber are becoming increasingly common in New York City. While traditional taxis and public transportation are still widely used, some passengers prefer the convenience, predictability, and accessibility these rideshare services provide.
Like other cars, Lyft accidents happen daily. You may be entitled to compensation if you were injured in an accident involving a Lyft in New York. Contact The Ward Law Group to speak to an experienced Lyft accident lawyer if you’re hurt. We’re passionate about advocating for your rights and getting you the money you deserve. Contact our office to discuss your case today.
You can also reach us at 855-DOLOR-55 for a free consultation. We have helped numerous clients obtain fair Lyft accident settlements. We will represent you in a Lyft accident lawsuit if a settlement can’t be reached.
Who’s Held Liable For My Injuries After a Lyft Accident?
If you’re a passenger, another motorist, cyclist, or pedestrian who was hurt in a Lyft accident, you have the right to pursue compensation for damages from the responsible party. The liable party or parties could be the Lyft driver, the rideshare company, another driver, or any other third party.
New York also has negligence laws that allow victims to get money from all parties who contributed to the cause of the accident. This might include one or more of the following:
- The rideshare driver
- The driver of another car
- Bus driver
- A transit company
- Government agency
- Car manufacturer
The personal injury attorneys at Ward Law understand the ins and outs of cases involving rideshare platforms like Lyft and Uber. Your Lyft accident lawyer will identify everyone contributing to your accident and subsequent injuries. We’ve already helped other victims recover substantial amounts in Lyft accident settlements. It’s our job to build a strong lawsuit so you can focus on healing.
What Should I Do if I’m Hurt in a Lyft Accident?
If you are injured in a rideshare accident, take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention immediately. Request an ambulance if necessary.
- Take pictures of the scene (if you can) before the vehicles are moved.
- Call the police and file a report.
- Notify Lyft of the accident.
- Follow up with your doctor regarding your injuries.
- Keep records of all medical bills, fees, photos, witnesses, etc.
- Consult with a Lyft accident lawyer.
Causes of Lyft Accidents
Popular platforms like Lyft tout themselves as a safer alternative to driving home after a night out or taking late-night public transportation, making rideshares increasingly popular. Generally, most car accidents are caused by human error and negligence, and Lyft accidents are no exception. While drivers are not always to blame, navigating NYC’s busy streets can be challenging for even the most experienced motorists.
Lyft drivers are also subject to challenges, like dealing with customers and driving for extended hours, that other drivers may not share. We have experience handling NYC Lyft accidents involving:
- Lyft Driver Negligence: Driver driver error and negligence can include distracted driving, speeding, reckless driving, running red lights or stop signs, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and other traffic law violations.
- Another Driver’s Carelessness: Lyft accidents can also be caused by another motorist’s negligence.
- Road Conditions: Rain, snow, or ice can increase the risk of car accidents. Also, poor road upkeep or lack of proper signage can make it difficult for drivers to navigate safely.
- Dangerous Driving: Lyft drivers working for long hours can become exhausted from long hours on the road, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Vehicle Defects: Mechanical failures or defects in the Lyft vehicle, like faulty breaks can, can contribute to accidents.
Regardless of who caused your accident, you deserve compensation for your injuries. If you’ve been involved in a Lyft accident, speak to a New York Lyft accident lawyer today at the Ward Law Group. We’ll assess your case and provide legal guidance based on the specific details.
How Do I Get Paid If a Lyft Driver Caused My Accident?
Lyft drivers are considered independent contractors in New York, meaning you can’t hold Lyft liable for your injuries if their driver causes an accident. In some circumstances, Lyft’s insurance policy protects its drivers and injured third parties.
If you’re the victim of a Lyft accident, you deserve compensation. However, your route to pursue a Lyft accident settlement or lawsuit may vary. For example, you could get a bonus from the Lyft driver, their private auto insurance company, or Lyft’s insurance provider. The attorneys at Ward Law will do whatever it takes to get you the highest Lyft accident settlement amount. If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations or the insurance coverage is insufficient, you may file a lawsuit against the Lyft driver and potentially Lyft itself.
Lyft has third-party liability insurance coverage, which pays up to $1 million for property damage and personal injuries per accident. However, like any other motorist, rideshare drivers must purchase a personal car insurance policy if they use their vehicle to transport customers. Personal protection coverage doesn’t usually pay for accident claims based on commercial activity (driving for profit). Like Uber, all Lyft drivers must be permitted by the New York City Taxi & Limousine Commission.
Lyft’s insurance policy is available depending on the driver’s status during the collision. For example, there’s different coverage when the app is “on” versus when a driver has a passenger on board. If you have any questions, we can help you understand how Lyft’s insurance coverage applies to your situation.
What Compensation Can I Get If I’m Injured in an NYC Lyft Accident?
Rideshare accident victims deserve to be paid for the costs associated with their injuries. Lyft accident settlement amounts will depend on the extent of your injuries. Your NYC Lyft accident lawyer will fight to get you the most money.
We have experience seeking all kinds of damages. Some of the most common types of compensation that injured individuals may seek in NYC Lyft accident cases include the following:
- Medical Fees: You may be compensated for medical costs, like hospital bills, medications, and surgeries. You can also seek damages for future medical expenses, including rehabilitation, physical therapy, long-term care, or ongoing treatment related to your injuries.
- Lost Wages: Have your injuries caused you to miss work? Do you have to change your line of work because of your injuries? If your accident results in missed work opportunities, you may be entitled to compensation for the income you have lost or will lose.
- Pain & Suffering: Emotional distress and physical pain are joint after any car accident. You may be able to get paid for ongoing physical pain and mental anguish caused by the accident.
- Property Damage: Was your personal property damaged or ruined during the accident? If destroyed in the accident, you can seek compensation for personal belongings, like a car or bike.
- Ongoing Medical Care: Some injuries, like broken bones, head injuries, and spinal cord injuries, can require long-term rehabilitation, assistive devices, home modifications, or therapy. You may be eligible for compensation to cover these expenses.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: Is your life significantly different after the accident? Some victims can no longer engage in certain activities or enjoy life like before the accident. This can also refer to limitations in mobility, ability to maintain or participate in social or family relationships, emotional distress, depression, and anxiety.
Our NYC Lyft car accident lawyers will work to get you the maximum compensation available. We also have experience helping our clients navigate wrongful death damages in the unfortunate event of a fatal Lyft accident. You can count on Ward Law to tirelessly advocate on your behalf during the legal process.
What’s the Statute of Limitations for Lyft Accidents?
How much time do you have to file a Lyft accident lawsuit? The statute of limitations for car accident cases in New York is usually three years from the accident date. You will be blocked from filing a lawsuit if you miss the deadline. Don’t leave money on the table.
While three years may sound like a long time, you should act quickly. Delays, legal battles, and unforeseen circumstances can weaken your case or prevent you from getting the money you deserve. Contact a NY Lyft accident lawyer ASAP to begin working on your case.
Contact a Lyft Accident Attorney in New York Now
Navigating life after a car accident is confusing and often scary. You’re not alone. Speak to an experienced Lyft car accident lawyer in New York today for a free case evaluation.
A Lyft accident lawsuit is more complicated than traditional car accident cases. To learn more about how we can defend your legal rights and fight for maximum compensation, call us at 855-DOLOR-55!