The digital revolution is here to stay. Technology is playing an increasingly important role in more and more aspects of daily life. Life is no longer the same as it was when analog was the norm.
Now, for every need that arises in the market, there is an app that solves it. Many startups go through investment rounds that catapult them to success; others fall by the wayside, although they are nourished by the learning that comes from using technology to serve the community.
Can you imagine how complicated it used to be for someone to arrive in a new city and know absolutely nothing? It involved checking maps and memorizing directions, driving was twice as difficult, and the chances of getting lost were greater.
We have always kept in touch with the immigrant community in Florida and New York, some of them have been our clients, and they told us that when they arrived in the big cities of those states in the mid-80s, '90s, and even the beginning of the new millennium, there were no digital facilities that we have at hand today: GPS, navigation systems, applications that know the streets by heart—the era of algorithms.
All this technological revolution has forever altered cab service in cities like Brooklyn. Even many traditional cab drivers have shown some rejection of this new revolution, as they feel that app-based drivers go through fewer filters, which they consider a degree of unfair competition. We understand that sometimes the labor issue can be a sensitive aspect, although we do not believe that technology is a negative aspect of the times in which we live.
Everything will depend on what makes the difference in what we do: the definition of values. The definition of the Reason Why of what we do.
Some of our workers have also been immigrants. Even our founder Ms. Jany Martinez Ward, experienced immigration as a transcendental element in her life. However, in those times, there was no digital revolution. This is in contrast to the new waves of immigrants arriving in states like New York. They tell us that without services like Lyft or Uber, they would be lost.
At least in the early days. Many others also highlight applications such as Google Maps or Waze. They consider them their allies in the art of not getting lost in the big city. Being new in a completely different country is a little easier than it was 30 or 20 years ago. That's something to thank technology for. Can you imagine what will come next? Will things come for better or worse?
In the meantime, let's think about the present. And it's right now that a new debate is starting: the legal consequences that an accident aboard a service like Lyft could have. This debate has been common for the past five years. One of the questions that arises is who would assume liability in the highest percentage.
Would the Lyft company be legally responsible for the events? Or could it be considered, by not having performed an accurate screening of the driver, that it would have favored an accident to occur?
In order to provide more clarity on these details and to make you feel safer when taking a Lyft in Brooklyn, we will proceed to find out more about accidents on the edge of this type of service. We will evaluate some general aspects that can serve as a basis for you to understand these types of events and thus feel a little less vulnerable to the circumstances.
Brooklyn will be a safer place for all of us when we jointly commit to abide by the rules and prevent as much as possible any negligent acts.
How Lyft accidents differ from regular car accidents
The commercial characteristic of Lyft:
Lyft drivers are frequently referred to as commercial or rideshare drivers. The commercial aspect of an accident involving a Lyft vehicle can make liability and insurance issues more complicated, possibly involving both the driver's personal insurance and Lyft's insurance policies.
In some Lyft accidents, third-party claims may arise. For example, if another driver causes the accident while the Lyft driver is on route to pick up a passenger or during an active trip, multiple insurance policies may come into play, impacting liability determinations.
Considerations for Passengers:
In accidents involving Lyft, passengers may have sustained injuries or had their property destroyed. Depending on the driver's status in the Lyft app, liability may extend to both the Lyft driver and Lyft, and insurance coverage may vary.
Policies of the rideshare company:
Lyft has its own procedures and policies for handling accidents, as well as standards for the security of its drivers and passengers. For accident victims looking for financial compensation, it's crucial to comprehend Lyft's policies and insurance coverage.
Common causes of Lyft accidents
There may be many causes for this type of event, from the most eccentric and regrettable ones, such as drunk driving, to an angry driver who forgets that he is providing a service and that he is carrying passengers. Sometimes, there have also been cases where the Lyft driver had a conversation with the passenger that later turned into an argument.
Whether it was talking about politics or even soccer teams, can you imagine such levels of immaturity? To be distracted from the wheel by a spontaneous discussion over politics or sports. In short, the indifference of some people sometimes has no limits.
However, our Brooklyn's Lyft accident lawyers want to bring relevant information where there is ignorance. We want to bring awareness where there is parsimony or indifference. We want our community in Brooklyn to be more informed, that is why we have identified, together with our experts with more than 30 years of experience, the following most common causes of these types of accidents:
● Distracted Driving: Lyft drivers, like other motorists, can become distracted by smartphones, GPS devices, or in-car technology while driving.
● Speeding: Exceeding the speed limit or driving too fast for road conditions can lead to Lyft accidents.
● Fatigue: Driver fatigue, often due to long hours behind the wheel, can impair reaction times and decision-making.
● Intoxication: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can lead to Lyft accidents, endangering passengers and other road users.
● Reckless Driving: Aggressive behaviors like tailgating and frequent lane changes can result in Lyft accidents.
● Running Red Lights or Stop Signs: Failure to obey traffic signals and stop signs can lead to dangerous collisions.
● Weather Conditions: Adverse weather, such as rain, snow, or ice, can increase the likelihood of Lyft accidents.
● Inadequate Maintenance: Poorly maintained vehicles may experience mechanical failures that contribute to accidents.
● Inexperienced Drivers: New Lyft drivers may lack experience in navigating complex traffic situations.
● Vehicle Defects: Mechanical or manufacturing defects can lead to Lyft accidents, making manufacturers potentially liable.
● Poor Road Conditions: Unmaintained or poorly designed roads can be a contributing factor in Lyft accidents.
● Passenger Disturbances: Disruptive or unruly passengers can distract drivers and lead to accidents.
● Other Drivers: The actions of other motorists on the road can cause Lyft accidents, including sudden lane changes or illegal maneuvers.
● Fatigue: Some Lyft passengers may request rides during late hours, potentially leading to drowsy driving incidents.
● Traffic Congestion: Heavy traffic and congestion can increase the risk of Lyft accidents, especially in urban areas like Brooklyn.
Lyft's Safety Measures and Policies
Surely, after addressing this particular topic, you are wondering how effective the filters used by companies like Lyft can be when accepting new drivers. It is normal to ask yourself questions such as: Am I truly safe when I use these services? Is the driver a fair-minded person who has gone through the minimum safety evaluations to ensure that I arrive safely at my destination?
Sometimes these types of ridesharing services become so mainstream that many people take things for granted when in reality, many of the details are hidden between the lines. Sometimes, the real rules of the game can be stipulated in those small letters that you ignore when agreeing to the terms of service. Many of them could release the company from liability and you become the only one responsible for suffering any unforeseen event while using these applications.
That is why our Brooklyn's Lyft accident attorneys always recommend our community and our customers review the agreements and conditions before accepting them. We live in times where technology is immersed in increasingly private areas of our lives, and sometimes that can put us in a situation where we expose our data in a risky way.
Some of the measures Lyft handles internally to filter its drivers are the following:
● Background Checks: Lyft conducts thorough background checks on potential drivers, which include criminal background checks and driving history reviews to ensure driver suitability.
● Vehicle Inspections: Drivers are required to pass vehicle inspections to ensure their cars meet safety standards and are in good working condition.
● Zero-Tolerance Policy: Lyft has a strict zero-tolerance policy for drug or alcohol use while driving. Drivers found in violation are immediately banned.
● Insurance Coverage: Lyft provides insurance coverage that includes liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and contingent comprehensive and collision coverage when a driver is in driver mode or has accepted a ride.
● Safety Features in the App: Lyft's app includes safety features such as ride tracking, two-way feedback between drivers and passengers, and an emergency assistance button for added security.
● Lyft's Community Safety Program: Lyft has implemented a Community Safety Program that includes continuous background checks for drivers, enhanced identity verification, and ongoing safety education for drivers.
● Emergency Assistance: In the Lyft app, passengers can access an emergency assistance button that connects them to 911 in case of an emergency during the ride.
● Ride Check Feature: Lyft's Ride Check feature uses sensors and other technology to detect unusual stops or deviations from the route, allowing Lyft to reach out to the driver and passenger to ensure their safety.
● Safety Resources: Lyft provides safety resources and information within the app, including tips for safe rides and how to verify your ride before getting in the vehicle.
Choosing the Right Lawyer
Choosing the professional who will accompany you throughout a Lyft accident in Brooklyn may not be a simple matter at the beginning. Sometimes these decisions are influenced by recommendations from others or advice from third parties who have had positive experiences with a lawyer in the past. This is what is known in marketing as "word of mouth" or "the snowball effect."
Without a doubt, whenever someone has received a recommendation to hire us as a lawyer, that recommendation has been accompanied by positive feedback. We pay close attention to the details. We not only want to provide first-class legal advice but also the human accompaniment and holistic approach that these cases deserve.
It is not easy to assimilate a traumatizing situation on board a ridesharing vehicle with a strange driver, which could degenerate into much worse crimes. Many of our clients have taken months to digest what happened. We have developed a corresponding sensitivity to not rush those affected to process the events. We are also very careful with sensitive information and don't stop until we see our clients fully recover.
We believe that healing potential resides in each one of us, and we trust that God puts things in their place and that he accompanies causes.
Some important points in which a lawyer from our firm will be of great help to you are the ones we have been able to identify below:
● Experience with Rideshare Accidents: Our lawyers have extensive experience handling cases related to rideshare accidents, including those involving Lyft. They understand the nuances of these cases and how to navigate the complexities.
● Knowledge of State Laws: Our lawyers are well-versed in the specific laws and regulations governing rideshare services, accidents, and personal injury claims in Brooklyn and New York.
● Insurance Expertise: We have a deep understanding of the insurance policies and coverage options that may apply in Lyft accident cases, ensuring that clients receive the maximum compensation available.
● Investigative Skills: Our legal team has the resources and expertise to conduct thorough investigations, collecting evidence and witness statements to build a strong case.
● Negotiation Skills: We excel in negotiations with insurance companies and other parties involved, aiming to secure fair settlements for our clients without the need for protracted litigation.
● Litigation Experience: When necessary, our lawyers are prepared to take cases to court and have a strong track record of success in litigating personal injury claims.
● Client Advocacy: We prioritize our clients' best interests, providing personalized attention and guidance throughout the legal process.
● Compassion and Support: We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that accidents can have on individuals and their families. Our lawyers offer compassionate support during challenging times.
● Transparent Communication: We maintain open and transparent communication with our clients, keeping them informed about the progress of their cases and addressing their questions and concerns promptly.
● Proven Results: Our firm has a history of achieving favorable outcomes for Lyft accident victims, securing compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Thank you for sailing with us through this very interesting topic.
Contact us for a free case evaluation! We look forward to hearing from you!