Trucks are vital to New York's economy. These great machines invented by man allow the commercial exchange between the Atlantic coast and the other corners of the country. We could not imagine a large city that does not use trucks to move goods and raw materials.
However, the drivers in charge of these vehicles must be properly trained in their use. They must follow certain protocols of prior rest and induction plans, go through a special driving test, and know some basic mechanics that allow them to make decisions in emergencies or technical failures.
Long Island, NY, is a city that has always been a focus of worldwide investment. Its proximity to Manhattan and the main financial centers keeps the city alive even though it is not the most mainstream point in the state.
After our arrival in New York, we have been working on conducting enough research to know the details that characterize the new cities to which our professionals are providing their legal services.
To understand the issue of truck accidents in the area, we first wanted to investigate how trucks play an important role throughout New York, and the following key aspects of the economy of this area of the United States came to light.
- Supply Chain Distribution: Long Island serves as a significant distribution hub, with trucks transporting goods to various local businesses, retailers, and warehouses. This ensures that essential products are readily available to residents.
- Manufacturing and Production: Many manufacturers and production facilities on Long Island rely on the timely delivery of raw materials and components via trucks. This supports local industries, job growth, and economic stability.
- Agriculture and Farming: Long Island's agriculture sector relies on trucks to transport fresh produce, dairy products, and other agricultural goods to local markets and distribution centers. The island's farms contribute to the region's economy and food supply.
- Construction and Infrastructure: Trucks are instrumental in the construction and maintenance of Long Island's infrastructure. They transport construction materials, heavy equipment, and personnel to various job sites, helping to drive the construction sector.
- Waste Management: Garbage and recycling trucks play a vital role in waste management services on Long Island, ensuring the proper disposal and recycling of waste materials.
- E-commerce and Logistics: The growth of e-commerce has increased the demand for trucking services to deliver online purchases to consumers' doorsteps. This trend has led to a surge in last-mile delivery services.
- Local Commerce: Local businesses, such as restaurants, stores, and service providers, rely on truck deliveries to maintain their inventory and serve their customers effectively.
In this scenario, where trucks play a crucial role, it is possible to state that any of these, such as logistics, manufacturing, construction industry, and business in general, can be affected if the number of truck accidents increases exponentially.
In other words, there is an interdependent relationship between Long Island's economy and the flow of trucks through the city, and anything that affects this flow, whether it be accidents or regulations that limit operations to some degree, can in turn, affect the economy.
This helps us to understand that a truck accident is not only an issue that concerns only truck accident victims, the driver or passengers, or affected third parties, but it concerns the entire community since a truck accident is almost always a delayed business or a frustrated logistics operation.
With greater emphasis, we should work on prevention, with more prepared drivers and with companies that can understand the logic of compliance that operates within the industry and that seek to mitigate the risks of accidents to the maximum.
When it comes to reducing risks, our professionals who specialize in Long Island personal injury cases are the most experienced in the field. They are trained to identify when a personal injury lawsuit will be the best path or a different legal strategy must be chosen.
After 30 years of defending the interests of people who come to our offices for help, we know the legal strategies to maximize the benefits you will receive to compensate for the damages suffered in an event of this magnitude.
Consider that when it comes to trucks, the consequences can be fatal since the chances of surviving an impact of a vehicle of such magnitude are very few. It is not the same as in accidents involving domestic vehicles, where the chances of surviving are more optimistic.
For these and many other reasons, you should call our New York office immediately at (646) 956-2797 if you have been involved in an event of this nature. A Long Island personal injury lawyer will be answering all your questions.
Don't let valuable time pass you by. Deadlines are vital in the legal process and in truck accident cases. Do not fear retaliation from your employer if the accident is linked to negligence on the part of the company you are or were employed by.
Do not hide information about it from the authorities. Justice must be equal for all, for large corporate groups as well as for ordinary citizens. No one should ignore regulations that affect an entire community.
The fact that it is a large company with influence and financial capacity does not imply that it is exempt from regulations that reach the entire community. Missing following the regulations could be a reason to file a lawsuit or file a claim against any company or person involved in a truck accident that affects third parties.
If you do not report irregularities on the part of your company when it comes to following safety regulations, then you could become complicit in an act that is harmful to the community.
We at The Ward Law welcome you to our offices at 535 5th Ave Suite 910, New York, NY 10017, to meet us and talk some more!
Join us to find out more about truck accidents on Long Island in the following paragraphs.
By the end of this post, you will be a more informed citizen, and you will be able to send us your questions and doubts to develop them in other publications that we will continue to make during the following weeks.
In advance, we thank our readers for keeping up to date with our content and helping us grow more and more with affection and positive comments that reach us. Our truck accident lawyers in Long Island from The Ward Law work to serve, and that is the main motivation that has characterized us since we started the firm.
Causes of Truck Accidents in Long Island
We would be very happy if we had a crystal ball or some kind of spider sense that would allow us to anticipate future events.
We would save ourselves a lot of suffering in vain and many fatal outcomes, and we would surely have safer clues.
However, we cannot see the future. We are not clairvoyant, nor do we claim to be. What moves us are facts and truth, not speculations or half-truths.
That is why we cannot anticipate the real causes of an event like truck accidents. However, we can identify patterns of cases from the past that have reached our offices, and as a result of these events that are repeated in various scenarios, we can develop a map of possible causes involved in these cases.
What do we achieve by grouping the most common causes? We managed to better understand this type of phenomenon and also managed to identify the key points on which we should work in terms of prevention.
It is clear that every prevention plan is based on contexts with a high possibility of repetition if elements A, B, and C occur. In that case, we all do well as part of the Long Island community by identifying the triggers that can increase the risks of occurrence of these events. In this way, we proceed to eradicate the behaviors that are linked to these causes.
All truck drivers on Long Island should be aware of the following most common causes that our Long Island truck accident attorneys have identified in 30 years of experience in the field:
● Driver Fatigue: Long hours on the road can lead to driver fatigue, impairing judgment and reaction times. Fatigued truck drivers may fall asleep at the wheel or make critical errors, endangering themselves and others.
● Speeding: Excessive speed is a common cause of truck accidents in Long Island. Trucks traveling at high speeds are less likely to stop in time to avoid collisions or navigate curves safely, increasing the severity of accidents. Experienced Long Island truck drivers are normally aware of speed limits to avoid accidents.
● Distracted Driving: Distractions such as texting, using a phone, or adjusting in-cab systems divert a truck driver's attention from the road, increasing the risk of accidents. Inattentiveness can lead to delayed reactions and misjudgments.
● Impaired Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a dangerous factor in truck accidents. Impaired truck drivers have diminished coordination and decision-making abilities, making them prone to accidents. Personal injury claims should be necessary if the case is linked to these negligent acts.
● Inadequate Training: Inexperienced or inadequately trained truck drivers may struggle to handle large vehicles, leading to accidents caused by errors in maneuvering and control. Proper training is crucial for safe operation.
● Overloaded Trucks: Overloading or improperly loading cargo can destabilize a truck, affecting its balance and braking capabilities. This can result in accidents, particularly on steep or winding roads. Proper cargo management is essential.
● Mechanical Failures: Poorly maintained trucks or equipment failures can lead to accidents. Brake failures, tire blowouts, and steering malfunctions are examples of mechanical issues that compromise safety.
● Weather Conditions: Adverse weather, such as rain, snow, or fog, can reduce visibility and traction, increasing the risk of truck accidents. Drivers must adapt their driving to adverse conditions.
● Blind Spots: Trucks have significant blind spots, which can make it challenging for drivers to see other vehicles. Failure to check blind spots during lane changes or turns can lead to accidents. Truck drivers must be aware of these blind spots and take precautions.
● Reckless Driving: Aggressive driving behaviors like tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and road rage contribute to accidents involving trucks. Maintaining a calm and cautious driving approach is crucial.
● Lack of Maintenance: Neglected maintenance can lead to equipment failures or malfunctions. Failure to address issues promptly can result in accidents. Regular maintenance is essential for safe operation.
● Inadequate Following Distance: Trucks require a longer stopping distance than smaller vehicles. Inadequate following distance can lead to rear-end collisions when trucks cannot stop in time, emphasizing the importance of maintaining a safe following distance.
● Fatigued Driving: Truck drivers working long hours without sufficient rest breaks may experience drowsiness or even fall asleep at the wheel, leading to accidents. Adequate rest and adherence to federal hours-of-service regulations are crucial. This aspect could be something taken into consideration by the insurance company to set coverage.
● Drug or Alcohol Use: Substance abuse by truck drivers, whether prescription or illicit drugs or alcohol, impairs their ability to operate their vehicles safely. Zero-tolerance policies are in place to prevent such behaviors. Avoiding this negligent behavior will reduce unnecessary pain and suffering in our community.
● Inadequate Road Conditions: Poorly maintained roads, potholes, and construction zones can create hazardous conditions for trucks, contributing to accidents. Proper road maintenance and construction zone safety measures are vital.
Specific Hazardous Routes in Long Island
Just as drivers and those involved in truck accidents should be aware of the causes that trigger these events, it is also quite prudent to know about the routes on Long Island, especially those that are most likely to host these types of accidents.
There are routes that, due to high traffic, high congestion, their age, or perhaps due to some work that is being carried out in the area, may be more likely to generate the cocktail necessary for a truck to crash.
After talking with local people on Long Island, in addition to reviewing some maps of the area and sending our professionals to explore the area for a few days and become familiar with the main roads, we have concluded that the following are the most likely to be involved in truck accidents:
● Long Island Expressway (I-495): The Long Island Expressway, a major east-west route, is known for heavy congestion and frequent accidents, especially during rush hours. Its high traffic volume and fast-paced nature make it prone to collisions.
● Sunrise Highway (NY-27): Sunrise Highway stretches across Long Island and is susceptible to accidents, particularly in sections with multiple intersections and variable speed limits. It requires cautious navigation.
● Northern State Parkway: This scenic parkway can become treacherous during adverse weather conditions, with winding stretches and limited shoulder space. Accidents and delays are common in areas with steep grades.
● Southern State Parkway: The Southern State Parkway experiences heavy commuter traffic and can be challenging for large trucks to navigate. Its numerous exits and entrances can lead to congestion and accidents.
● Jericho Turnpike (NY-25): Jericho Turnpike is a busy commercial route with heavy truck traffic. Congestion and frequent stops can contribute to rear-end collisions and other accidents.
● Montauk Highway (NY-27A): Montauk Highway, a scenic route along Long Island's south shore, can be hazardous due to its winding nature and proximity to water. Adverse weather conditions and sharp curves pose risks.
Long Island's unique features can make certain routes dangerous for drivers, necessitating caution and adherence to traffic laws in order to avoid accidents and ensure road safety.
We know that it has not been easy to recover from the emotional impact that the accident had on you. We know that you are afraid of starting a legal fight against a large company or a trucking company. Believe us, starting to give up those fears is already a big step.
Don't be afraid. You have come to the right people. We will help you resolve this issue from a human perspective. The search for justice will reach us. Together we will find the outcome in your favor that you deserve.
Contact The Ward Law Group if you are injured in a truck accident and learn more about our strategy to maintain a probability of success cases of around 99% over the last few years