Advocating for You: Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
Spinal cord injuries are devastating, and they may occur in almost any situation. Most of the time, these injuries involve motor vehicle accidents that were caused by third-party negligence. But, this isn’t to say that there aren’t other causes. One may sustain a spinal cord injury simply by slipping and falling on a wet floor without a caution sign. Most of the time, however, a devastating spinal cord injury will occur in conjunction with a car or motorcycle accident.
Maybe your case is black-and-white, maybe it’s not. Either way, you can guarantee that insurance company adjusters will do just about everything in their power to minimize your settlement. After all, the less compensation that you receive, the more money that goes back into the pockets of corporate. That said, your situation is not hopeless. With the right legal team behind you, things become a lot more manageable.
The Ward Law Group has almost a decade of experience handling every kind of spinal cord injury case. When you suffer a life-changing spinal cord injury, you want to make sure that you receive the lifelong compensation that you deserve for your trauma.
In addition, The Ward Law Group serves both the English and Spanish-speaking communities, making sure that language never becomes a barrier to receiving a successful settlement. Contact our expert team of legal advisors today!
Common Types of Spinal Cord Injury Claims that We Settle
If you have suffered from a spinal cord injury from a car accident caused by the negligence of another party—or any other situation involving negligence for that matter—you may be able to recover damages for your losses. In a negligence claim, your legal team must prove the presence of four elements: the duty of care owed by the defendant, the breach of this duty, the existence of your injury, and a link between said breach and your injury.
There are many different examples of negligence-based accidents. That being said, here are the most common types of accidents resulting from the negligence of one or more parties:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: The most common and (usually) the most devastating. If you receive a spinal cord injury from a motor vehicle accident, your injury is much more likely to be serious and life-altering.
- Slip & Fall Accidents: You’re not as likely to receive a spinal cord injury from this, but it is possible and certainly so if you are elderly. These cases may fall under negligence claims if the accident involves negligent actions, such as not displaying properly signage near difficult terrain or wet floors.
- Defective Safety/Mechanical Equipment: Again, not as common as a car accident, but sometimes improper quality control may lead to injury. For example, if you buy a display piece from a furniture store that wasn’t properly assembled and injure your back. Such situations may lead to permanent injury.
Common Types of Car Accidents
Of course, the list above only covers the three most common types of scenarios. The Ward Law Group also takes into account other sources of spinal cord injuries when working to satisfy your claim. Here are a few examples of motor vehicle accidents that can result in spinal cord injuries:
- Head-on Collisions
- Hit-and-Run Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- T-Bone Collisions
- Defective Car Part Accidents
- Uber & Lyft Accidents
- Uninsured Motorist Accidents
- …and more.
There are always going to be a different set of hoops to jump through depending on the exact nature of your accident and injury. This is why recruiting the support of a solid legal team with proven experience is extremely important. You want to enlist the best because you deserve only the best.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries & Compensation
Not all spinal cord injuries are catastrophically life-changing, but even the most minor injuries should still be taken seriously. The spine is the main neural thoroughfare in the body, and it is responsible for carrying many messages and signals to and from the brain. Here are a few examples of spinal cord injuries that may result from a car accident:
- Quadriplegia: Paralysis of all four limbs.
- Paraplegia: Paralysis of one set of limbs.
- Compression Fracture: Tiny fractures in the vertebrae that may eventually lead to spinal collapse.
- Complete Spinal Cord Injury: Any injury that causes a total lack of sensory and motor function below the injury level.
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury: The opposite of a complete injury. Sensory and motor function is not totally lost, but may be affected.
When you suffer serious injuries because of the negligence of a third party, you will need a team of experienced lawyers behind you in order to maximize your potential claim. With such legal assistance, you may be able to receive the following compensations:
- Medical Bills: Most people think of the obvious, such as hospital bills or doctor visits, but the list doesn’t just end there. This compensation category also includes any treatments you may need for your spinal cord injury, such as medication or physical therapy.
- Lost Wages & Earning Capacity: This is especially relevant for cases involving spinal cord injuries. Lost wages are basically the wages that you lose while recuperating from your injury. On the other hand, lost earning capacity refers to wages that you will lose from an injury that is permanent or life-altering.
- Property Damage: Similar to medical bills, this is more than it seems. Most people just think it ends at the damages to the car, but it actually covers a lot more. You may be entitled to compensation for a damaged smartphone, laptop, jewelry, and even clothes.
- Emotional Trauma: This one is a little harder to receive compensation for as it is intangible, but in some cases, it may be awarded to the plaintiff to compensate for psychological distress.
The Ward Law Group has won millions of dollars for its clients over the past two decades. In fact, one of their more recent cases involved a negligent driver who knocked a hard-working family man off of his scooter, leading to permanent injuries. The case settlement ended up being 2.5 million dollars! Don’t leave your compensation claim up to chance. Contact the Ward Law Group today to receive the peace of mind that you deserve.
Maximizing Your Claim: Immediate Steps to Take After an Accident
If you have been involved in a major car accident—or any accident for that matter—timing is always key. If you are able, you should immediately contact your insurance company to open up a claim after the accident occurs. If the other party is negligent, consider your state’s statute of limitations. Many states require that you file a claim within a certain period of time (usually this is within two years). After these limitations have passed, you may not be able to sue the guilty party (even in cases of gross negligence).
You’ll want to contact an experienced legal team as quickly as possible to help you handle the massive paper trail that you are about to undertake. Often times, your attorney will send investigators out to the accident site in order to collect evidence and police reports. These will come in handy later when trying to maximize your claim.
Information must also be provided that shows the severity of your injuries from the accident. Your legal team must establish any lost wages and earning capacity as a direct result from the injuries you received. During this time, you’ll want to keep all of your receipts (medical bills, treatment, etc). You will need these to establish reimbursement amounts for your insurance company.
How The Ward Law Group Can Help
Ready to pursue your claim? Don’t leave your settlement up to chance. Remember, most insurance adjusters will try everything to avoid giving you the fair compensation that you deserve. So, why not pick a team that you know you can count on? It only makes sense. The Ward Law Group is devoted to helping you secure your claims for medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and much more. In addition, we serve both the English and Spanish-speaking communities, so do not let language become a barrier to getting the compensation that you’re owed. Our team of devoted lawyers will ensure that you are given only the highest quality of service and compassion for your situation.