Get The Help You Deserve

Free Case Evaluation

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Five Star Google Reviews


Recovered For Our Clients


Five Star Ratings


Cases & Clients

No Deportation for Filing a Car Accident Claim

May 7, 2024 | Jany Martinez Ward
No Deportation for Filing a Car Accident Claim

Would finding yourself with a different immigration status mean that you lose your rights to file a claim for damages caused by accidents? No! The fact that you do not have a permanent residence does not imply that you will be deported if you report an event that has affected your integrity.

The United States of America has always welcomed migrant communities worldwide. However, due to certain circumstances, some community members have not been able to obtain a green card. This does not entirely deprive them of their rights. 

Especially in traffic accidents, the fact that you have resident status does not block the possibility of accessing legal representation and advice regarding your case and how to obtain compensation.

Will calling the police after an accident get me deported?

Your rights remain protected even after a car accident, regardless of immigration status. It's essential to understand that involving law enforcement by calling the police after an accident won't lead to deportation.

Here are the steps you should take after an accident:

  1. Stay at the accident scene, assess injuries, and promptly call the police.
  2. When the police arrive, be honest with them about the accident details. However, you are not obligated to disclose any information about your immigration status.
  3. Seek medical attention, even if you don't believe you're seriously injured. Some injuries may manifest later, and prompt medical care can prevent complications.
  4. After receiving medical attention, contact a personal injury attorney without delay. At The Ward Law Group, our experienced attorneys will guide you through the legal process, ensuring your rights are protected and you receive fair compensation for your damages.

While concerns about deportation may arise, it's crucial not to let them deter you from seeking the assistance and compensation you're entitled to. 

Our team is here to support you every step of the way, advocating for your rights and helping you navigate any challenges you may encounter during the claims process.

Can I file a car accident claim if I'm an Undocumented immigrant in Florida?

Despite concerns about immigration status, undocumented immigrants injured in car accidents in Florida have the right to seek compensation for their injuries. 

At The Ward Law Group, we understand the unique challenges undocumented immigrants face. We're here to help you navigate the legal process and recover the compensation you deserve.

There are over 850,000 undocumented immigrants in Florida, and they are just as likely to be injured in motor vehicle accidents as U.S. citizens. 

While undocumented immigrants may not have the same legal protections as citizens, they are still entitled to file personal injury claims if they are injured due to someone else's negligence.

What damages can you recover as an undocumented immigrant?

Undocumented immigrants can seek compensation for a variety of damages resulting from a car accident, including:

  1. Medical expenses: You can recover compensation for medical treatment related to your injuries, including hospital bills, surgeries, medications, and rehabilitation.
  2. Disability: If your injuries result in a temporary or permanent disability that affects your ability to work or perform daily activities, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages and loss of earning capacity.
  3. Pain and suffering: You can seek compensation for the physical pain and emotional distress caused by your injuries, as well as any mental anguish or psychological trauma resulting from the accident.
  4. Other damages: Depending on the specific circumstances of your case, you may also be entitled to compensation for property damage, loss of consortium, and other economic and non-economic damages.

At The Ward Law Group, everyone deserves access to justice, regardless of immigration status. Our compassionate and experienced attorneys will fight tirelessly to protect your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries. 

If you've been injured in a car accident in Florida, don't hesitate to contact us for a free consultation. We're here to help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.

Contact us today for a free case evaluation!

Jany Martinez Ward Author Image
Jany Martinez Ward

Jany Martínez-Ward is a Founding and Managing Partner of The Ward Law Group, PL, a Florida law firm representing victims of car accidents. She focuses her practice on providing legal representation to Hispanic clients that have become injured in a car accident as a result of the negligence of others. In 2018, The National Trial Lawyers Association recognized Jany as one of the top attorneys in the state and among the top 40 under 40 attorneys.


Author's Bio