Get The Help You Deserve

Free Case Evaluation

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Five Star Google Reviews


Recovered For Our Clients


Five Star Ratings


Cases & Clients

How to Obtain Your Police Report in NYC?

March 25, 2024 | Jany Martinez Ward
How to Obtain Your Police Report in NYC?

The Ward Law Group recognizes the challenges that follow an accident in New York City. That's why we're committed to making obtaining your police report as easy and efficient as possible.

Generally, acquiring a police report in New York City involves submitting a request form to the New York City Police Department (NYPD) either online, by mail, or in person at an NYPD precinct within 30 days of your accident, particularly in traffic accident cases.

Police reports are invaluable evidence in personal injury cases. They provide critical details such as the incident's time, date, location, and other essential information.

When you partner with us, our legal team can request a copy of the police report on your behalf and gather additional evidence to support your claim.

The types of police reports you can request from the NYPD include:

  • Verification of Incident: This report covers criminal activity and lost property incidents, including drunk driving accidents or hit-and-run incidents.
  • Aided Records: These documents record instances where the NYPD assisted with non-collision-related injuries, such as slip and fall accidents.
  • Motor Vehicle Collision Reports: If you've been involved in a car accident, you can request a copy of the collision report within 30 days of the incident. These reports can be obtained online, by mail, or at the precinct where the accident occurred.

Police reports typically contain crucial information such as the names and addresses of involved parties and witnesses, insurance details, diagrams illustrating the accident's circumstances, road and weather conditions, and notes from the attending officers.

While the police report offers valuable insights, it's just one part of a broader narrative.

In addition to the police report, other evidence that may bolster your case includes:

  • Medical records documenting your injuries and treatment.
  • Photographs of the accident scene and your injuries.
  • Witness statements provide additional perspectives.
  • Documentation of damages, such as medical bills and repair estimates.
  • Security camera footage capturing the incident.

Our experienced legal team can help you obtain your police report and gather supplementary evidence to support your claim. We understand the importance of acting swiftly, as evidence can be time-sensitive, and statutes of limitations may apply.

By partnering with The Ward Law Group, you gain access to dedicated legal advocates who will tirelessly pursue justice on your behalf.

Don't hesitate to contact us for a free consultation and personalized assistance with your case!

If you need a Police Accident Report but don't have the Incident Report, don't worry—The Ward Law Group is here to assist you.

Whether you were a passenger or a pedestrian involved in an accident and the responding officers didn't provide documentation, we can help.

Provide the following details to the clerk:

  • Your full name
  • Date of the accident
  • Approximate time and location of the accident
  • The license plate number of at least one of the involved vehicles

With this information, the clerk should be able to retrieve your case details and assist you further.

For accidents in Nassau County or Suffolk County, we recommend requesting a report from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (NYSDMV). You have two options for requesting your accident report:

  • Online: Fill out the required form and pay the fee using a credit or debit card. You'll need either the plate number of a vehicle involved in the accident or the 8-digit DMV case number. The online request is $22, including search and report fees.
  • By mail: Fill out the Request for Copy of Accident Report form and mail it in with the necessary information about the accident. The cost for requesting a copy by mail is $25, covering both the search and report fees.

Whether you choose to obtain the police accident report online or by mail, be sure to keep proof of payment, as you may need it for reimbursement from your No-Fault Insurance carrier.

If you believe the police report contains errors, please contact us. Our team at The Ward Law Group will advocate for you and work diligently to represent the accident details accurately.

We'll fight to prove that the accident occurred, as you recall, and that any discrepancies in the report are addressed appropriately. Your satisfaction and peace of mind are our top priorities.

Jany Martinez Ward Author Image
Jany Martinez Ward

Jany Martínez-Ward is a Founding and Managing Partner of The Ward Law Group, PL, a Florida law firm representing victims of car accidents. She focuses her practice on providing legal representation to Hispanic clients that have become injured in a car accident as a result of the negligence of others. In 2018, The National Trial Lawyers Association recognized Jany as one of the top attorneys in the state and among the top 40 under 40 attorneys.


Author's Bio