Driving recklessly in Yonkers poses a high risk of getting into a car accident and provoking serious injuries to people. Actions that are considered reckless while driving are:
- Excessive Speeding: Driving significantly above the posted speed limit or at a speed that is unsafe, given the current road conditions and traffic.
- Aggressive Tailgating: Following other vehicles too closely or tailgating aggressively, which can lead to rear-end collisions and other accidents.
- Illegal Passing: Passing other vehicles in situations where it is explicitly prohibited, such as in no-passing zones, at intersections, or in areas with restricted visibility.
- Disregarding Traffic Signals and Signs: Ignoring traffic signals, stop signs, and other regulatory signs that dictate the right of way and control traffic flow.
- Failure to Yield Right of Way: Failing to yield the right of way in situations where it is required by law, such as at crosswalks, yield signs, or when merging onto a highway.
- Improper Lane Changes: Making abrupt and unsafe lane changes without signaling or when it is unsafe to do so.
- Reckless Overtaking: Overtaking other vehicles in a manner that is dangerous and puts other road users at risk.
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI): Operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs impairs a driver's judgment, coordination, and reaction time.
- Engaging in Street Racing: Participating in or organizing unauthorized and illegal races on public roads.
- Distracted Driving: Engaging in activities that divert attention from driving, such as texting, talking on the phone, or using electronic devices without hands-free options.
- Evading Law Enforcement: Attempting to flee from law enforcement officers attempting to make a traffic stop.
- Ignoring Emergency Vehicles: Failing to yield or take appropriate action when an emergency vehicle is approaching with lights and sirens activated.
- Driving with a Suspended or Revoked License: Operating a vehicle without a valid license is a serious violation of traffic laws.
When a driver performs any of these previous actions that are prohibited, they can be found guilty of a misdemeanor.
If you or a family member got injured in a transit accident because of a reckless driver, you should get assistance from a reckless driving accident lawyer from The Ward Law Group.
It is not fair to deal with the consequences of a car accident when someone else is acting against the law. You may be entitled to file a personal injury lawsuit if your injuries are considered severe, and your insurance coverage falls short.
Common Injuries in Reckless Driving Accidents
The injuries that a person can sustain in a reckless driving accident will depend on various factors, such as the type of vehicle, the speed they were going, the impact zone, and what part of the city the accident took place.
For instance, at intersections, we commonly find T-bone accidents and pedestrian accidents that can cause severe injuries to victims. Whiplash, traumatic brain injuries, broken bones, and spinal cord injuries are more likely to happen in these types of accidents.
In residential areas where it is supposed that drivers should go at a moderate speed, there can be rear-end accidents or fender benders that might not be too harmful. A driver might see children playing near roads or vehicles pulling in and out of driveways, causing a sudden stop.
Minor whiplash, bruises, or concussions can happen in those types of accidents. On the other hand, on Highways and Major Roads, due to most highways letting the drivers go to a certain high speed and there being no traffic lights, we can usually find rollover accidents or lane change accidents.
Those accidents can also have serious injuries such as dismemberments, TBIs, and broken bones, among others.
It is highly advisable that if you get injured in an accident, you call 911 to get medical assistance as soon as possible. Even if you think there is no harm because you don’t feel immediate pain, you should have the opinion of a medical expert.
Also, you may want to get compensation to pay for your damages. A reckless driving car accident lawyer can help you determine how much your case is worth and fight against insurance companies and at-fault drivers in order to get the fairest compensation for you.
Legal Consequences for Reckless Driving
While judges have some leeway when it comes to determining sentences, first-time reckless driving offenders, in general, face a 30-day jail term and a fine ranging from $100 to $300.
Additionally, they receive five points on their driver's license. For a second offense within 18 months, the penalty increases to 90 days in jail and a fine between $100 and $525, along with five points.
A third offense carries a 180-day jail term, a fine ranging from $100 to $1,125, and another five points. Convictions also entail a state surcharge of either $88 or $93.
In any reckless driving case, a judge has the authority to suspend the offender's driving privileges if they perceive the driver as a substantial road hazard.
Furthermore, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can suspend driver's licenses for individuals accumulating 11 points or more within an 18-month period.
For those amassing six or more points within 18 months, convicted drivers will be subject to a Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee (DRA) in addition to surcharges and fines. This fee amounts to $300 plus an extra $75 for each point exceeding six.
How a Reckless Driving Car Accident Lawyer in Yonkers Can Help
Facing the aftermath of a reckless driving car accident in Yonkers can be overwhelming. In such trying times, a seasoned Reckless Driving Car Accident Lawyer becomes an invaluable ally.
A skilled Yonkers reckless driving accident lawyer begins by conducting a comprehensive investigation of the accident. This involves scrutinizing police reports, collecting witness statements, and consulting accident reconstruction experts if necessary.
They leave no stone unturned in gathering evidence that establishes the reckless behavior of the at-fault party. This meticulous approach forms the bedrock of a strong case.
One of the pivotal tasks of a lawyer is to establish the liability of the negligent party. They analyze the circumstances surrounding the accident to determine if reckless actions, such as speeding, aggressive driving, or running red lights, played a role. By demonstrating negligence, the lawyer builds a compelling argument for why the victim is entitled to compensation.
Victims of reckless driving accidents often suffer a range of damages, both economic and non-economic. A skilled lawyer adept in New York Law meticulously calculates these losses.
This includes medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and other related costs. By accurately quantifying the extent of the victim's losses, the lawyer ensures that no aspect of the impact is overlooked.
Dealing with insurance companies can be a daunting task, especially when they attempt to minimize payouts or dispute liability. A reckless driving accident lawyer, well-versed in the intricacies of insurance negotiations, acts as a shield for the victim. They skillfully negotiate with the insurer to secure a fair and just settlement that fully covers the victim's losses.
If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, they are prepared to take the case to court. They craft a compelling legal strategy, presenting the evidence and arguments in a clear and persuasive manner.
Get Help From A Reckless Driving Accident Lawyer
Now that you know how complicated these situations can get and what you have to do while suffering from debilitating injuries, the best move is to have a great ally by your side. A reckless driving accident lawyer from The Ward Law Group will fight tirelessly for you.
We have earned a successful path when dealing with personal injury cases for our clients. Winning multi-million dollar settlements for those victims who once thought they wouldn’t be able to get a cent out of it.
We empowered them with knowledge and a forceful defense so they could alleviate the damage they unfairly got. If you or a loved one got into a traffic accident, don’t hesitate to seek help from us. You can call us at 855-DOLOR-55 or through our online channel for a free consultation of your case.