Table of Contents
Advocating for You: Personal Injury & Bike Accident Lawyer
People choose to ride bicycles for a variety of reasons, both personal and economical. The exercise and fresh air make bike riding an invigorating and healthy means of transportation. In fact, many individuals with short commutes tend to favor bikes over cars because of lower costs and fewer maintenance hassles. Furthermore, those with an interest in environmental concerns ride bikes to lower carbon emission and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.
Regardless of your reasons for getting on a bicycle, you’re sharing the road with other vehicles that are faster, heavier, and capable of causing significant injuries should a bicycle accident occur. Since your bicycle is considered a vehicle, it is crucial that you follow the rules of the road as though you were driving a car, truck, or motorcycle.
Unfortunately, even if you do your best to follow traffic laws and make yourself visible to others on the road, bicycle accidents do occur. This is especially true in urban areas with high traffic congestion and lots of nearby distractions. If a driver’s negligence caused you injury during a bicycle accident, then you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, pain, suffering, and lost wages.
Of course, many bicyclists may not know where to turn when they are injured. They don’t have insurance on their bikes and they may not be aware of the complexities of filing an insurance claim. This is especially true for Spanish-speaking cyclists who may feel overwhelmed by an insurance company’s lingo and/or tricks.
A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You Recover Losses from a Bicycle Injury
The Ward Law Group is ready to help both English and Spanish-speaking cyclists injured in an accident that wasn’t their fault. You followed the traffic laws while trying to get to work, school, or run errands. Why should you suffer when someone driving a car or truck didn’t do the same?
Let us take care of the negotiation and litigation with insurance companies. After all, you may be in pain, missing work, and have no source of transportation to get to where you need to be. By enlisting the help of the Ward Law Group, we will make sure that insurance companies don’t shortchange you from receiving the compensation you deserve.
Types of Bicycle Accident Claims We Settle
While some bicycle accidents result from rider error or ignoring the rules of the road, the most serious accidents often involve other motor vehicles. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 840 bicyclists were killed in motor vehicle crashes during 2016. This accounts for 2.2% of total fatalities in traffic accidents.
Like motorcycles, car drivers have a harder time spotting bicyclists. This is especially true when those operating motor vehicles aren’t following the rules of the road.
If your bicycle accident occurs because of the negligence of a car or truck driver, then the Ward Law Group can help you settle a claim. Our legal experts will ensure that you receive the compensation you need to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Here are just a few of the bicycle accident claims that we’ve settled:
- Reckless Driving Accident: Speeding, inattention while lane-changing, and tailgating can all put a bicyclist at risk for sustaining major injuries.
- Texting While Driving: Those who check their phones or other mobile devices while driving aren’t paying attention to their surroundings. Many states have laws banning the use of mobile devices while driving. If you were involved in a bicycle accident with a distracted driver, then you may be entitled to significant compensation.
- Drunk Driving Accident: In 2016, alcohol was involved in 35 percent of fatal bicycle accidents. If a drunk or impaired driver caused you injury while riding a bike, we can help you get the compensation you need.
- Road Rage Accident: Some people can’t seem to control their emotions while in heavily-trafficked areas. In some cases, they take their rage out on cyclists who are just trying to share the road. We will address this unacceptable behavior (known as an intentional tort) while filing your bike accident claim.
- Uber Accident: Those employed by rideshare companies like Uber or Lyft often want to transport passengers quickly. This is how they make more money. Unfortunately, these drivers may neglect basic traffic safety laws to do so. Negligent Uber or Lyft drivers need to pay for the damages that they cause during bicycle accidents.
Types of Bike Accident Injuries & Compensation
Since you have very little protective equipment while riding a bike, getting into an accident can result in serious injuries. Even if you are wearing a helmet—as you should every time you ride a bike—bike accident injuries can be debilitating or even life-threatening.
Consider yourself lucky if you walk away from a bicycle accident with road rash, cuts, and/or bruises. All too often, those involved in a bicycle accident suffer more serious injuries that can put them out of work, cause significant pain and suffering, and prevent them from spending quality time with loved ones.
Common types of bicycle injuries include:
- Broken Bones: A broken arm or leg can limit your ability to work and provide for your family.
- Concussions: This is a jolt or sudden blow to the head that interrupts the way in which your brain normally functions.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to your spine or spinal cord can cause paralysis, muscles weakness, and significant pain.
- Bulging or Herniated Discs: When a gel-like layer between the bones of the spine sustains damage, it can put pressure on the spinal cord. This often results in pain, a lack of mobility, and in severe cases, paralysis.
- Damage to Internal Organs: A serious trauma can cause internal bleeding and damage to the organs. Types of internal injuries include punctured lungs, ruptured spleens, liver lacerations, etc.
Receiving Compensation for Your Accident
If you are injured in a bicycle accident that isn’t your fault, then you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries, lost work, and pain and suffering. Unfortunately, insurance companies want to save money by minimizing your injuries and offering you a quick payout well below what you deserve. Why? Because insurance companies want to make a profit. They aren’t always looking out for your best interests.
Instead, you need a lawyer who is an expert at processing personal injury claims. The Ward Law Group knows all the “tricks” of insurance companies. We will make sure that you obtain the money you need to support your family and recover from your injuries.
You have enough to worry about as you heal. Let us take care of communicating with the insurance companies and filling out the necessary paperwork. If the insurance company tries to deny your claim or offer you much less than you truly deserve, we will take them to court and fight to secure your livelihood.
The Ward Law Group has experience fighting for people involved in all types of accidents. For example, if you can no longer work because of a bicycle accident, then you need to obtain compensation to pay your bills and protect your family. Our firm once helped a single mother who lost her job at Pizza Hut because of injuries sustained during a high-speed collision. Our team of legal experts won over $390,000 in compensation for this woman so that she could support her family while she recuperated from her injuries.
Don’t attempt to fight the insurance companies alone. The Ward Law Group can (and will) help you navigate the complicated world of insurance claims.
Maximizing Your Claim: Immediate Steps to Take After an Accident
If you are involved in a bicycle accident, then the first thing you want to do is reach a safe location. If your accident occurs at a busy roadway or intersection, go to a safe spot away from other traffic. And, if possible, move your bike away from the highway to protect it from further damage.
Make sure that you call 911 or your local emergency number. When possible, stay at the scene of the bicycle accident. When the police arrive on the scene, they will draft an accident report, which will go to your insurance company. If you have injuries that require immediate care, make sure to get the help that you need first and foremost. Emergency medical personnel will assess your injuries and recommend whether you need to receive specialized treatment at a hospital.
If you sustained an injury because of another driver’s negligence, then contact the Ward Law Group ASAP. Our team of bicycle accident specialists will help you file a claim and explain the often confusing jargon of insurance companies.
How The Ward Law Group Can Help
A personal injury claim can be a tricky, time-consuming process. This is especially true if you are in pain and worrying about how you’re going to pay next month’s bills. You have enough going on after a biking accident. We do the legwork with the insurance companies so that you can recover in ease.
If you are a Spanish-speaking individual who needs to file a claim, then the process can be even more confusing. You may feel overwhelmed when struggling to understand the process of filing an insurance claim. By enlisting the help of the Ward Law Group, you don’t have to worry about the additional language barrier. We communicate directly with the insurance companies and make sure that they aren’t taking advantage of you.
Important Statue: State laws often limit the amount of time allowed to file a personal injury claim when you suffer a bike accident. Don’t hesitate to call the Ward Law Group at 855-DOLOR-55 (855-365-6755) today! You deserve compensation for your injuries and suffering. Having the right lawyer by your side could make all the difference between a difficult transition back to health and a smooth post-accident recovery.
Consistently Rated Best in the Industry