If you are an undocumented immigrant in the US, can you file for an insurance claim after a car accident?

Undocumented immigrants in the United States do not deserve to suffer. In fact, they have many legal rights, such as the right to get help from a good lawyer. The US Court ruled that undocumented immigrants have the same fundamental rights that any US citizen or resident enjoys while in the United States.

In the event of being involved in a car accident, the reporting police officer will only record your personal information, your driver’s license number, and the place where it happened. Once an undocumented immigrant gets his driver’s license, they are entitled to sign up for auto insurance policies. If the car accident is not your fault, then an attorney can help you file for compensation for any injury or damage from the accident.

If you were a passenger in a vehicle during a car accident, then you can file for compensation for your injuries. In some cases, your compensation may only cover your medical expenses. However, a passenger not guilty of a car accident can request full compensation (medical expenses, damage refund, pain and suffering and, property damages).

Regardless of your immigration status, the police cannot decide who is liable for the accident at the scene of the accident. Instead, a court or administrative council would review all the evidence of the case before assigning guilt to a party.

If the court finds the undocumented immigrant driver guilty, then he will not receive any compensation for his injuries. This is why it’s vital to check all the reports from the police with an attorney as soon as possible.

Here at The Ward Law Group, PL, we can assist you with your legal needs after suffering a car accident. Please contact us.


Free Case Evaluation